HDR-HC7 weird audio issue

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I recorded a firework show last year and after watching itI noticed sometimes the low frequency”booms”all of a sudden get cut and the audio sounds really dull and bassless, then about 5 to 10 sec later the low frequencys come back and it sounds normal again. Anyone know if this is somthing sonys justdo, or is there anyway to turn whatever is making it do that off?

Heres a clip so you can hear what its doing. You can hear it cut the bass on the first two explosions, then the next explosions the audio returns to normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYV3crq5D0

Inactive

Hmm, i cant figure anything out with this, I wonder if an external mic may fix the problem?

Inactive

it sounds like the audio processing is clamping down on the input from the explosion and it’s taking time for it to recover….

Inactive

Any solutions for it doing that? Do you know if it would still clamp down the input from an external mic? Maybe I need to get a completely seperate recording unit and sync it with the video in editing, Thats a pain in the rear just for me to record a firework show though, so I will probably just deal with it if i can’t fix the problem. Anyone know if this is what all cameras do, or just sony?

Thanks.

Matt

Participant

Yeesh! I would be terrified of ruining my poor innocent mic if I was recording a fireworks show! I think Johnboy is right.

I would cover up my mic so it doesn’t blow out or something. You’d cover up too, if you were hiking across Alaska in January. Fireworks booms for your poor camera mic are like that. What you want is a very rugged pop screen. Those are humongous pops! Cover it up withthe picnicblanket or something.

It’s good your base even came back! Don’t think aboutbuying more mics only to subject them to such an ordeal!

OK, maybe I’m exaggerating a little. But think about it! There’s a reason why little kids cover their ears when they firstgo to afireworks show. It’s only [slightly deaf] teens and adults that like them.

Inactive

i don’t know if your cam has the ability to control the audio levels, but I would manually set the audio low so that I am not hitting the limiters. I havea VX-2100, and I don’t really have that issue, I recorded the “Wishes” firework show at Disney World and didn’t have that problem come up.

John

Inactive

Thanks for the input guys. I’ll look and see if I can find a setting for the audio, I dont remember one being in there but ill look at it again.

Chris: Where can I find a pop screen and do they make any that will work with an on board mic? also will the pop screen stop it from having that audio issue or does it just protect the mic only?

Matt

Inactive

Ok, I found a “Mic level” setting in it, it has “auto” and “manual” Im assuming since it wason auto it was turning the volume down right when a really big boom would hit since it felt the volume was too high at that point, then between booms as the audio was low again it would raise it back up. Im not sure if thats what it was doing though, because it didnt really sound like the volume justgot lower, it sounded like it was cuttingthe lowfrequency out. I’v got the mic level set at 50% right now, not sure if its going to fix the problem though. Any input?

Inactive

Well just bought a RODE video mic, I’ll run my camcordersettings on maual and set the RODE to -10db like everyone recommends and see what happens.

PS, Waiting forChrisColoradoto get violentfor meusing the RODE mic at a fireworks show πŸ™‚

Participant

it sounds like the audio processing is clamping down on the input from the explosion and it’s taking time for it to recover….

Participant

sounds right to me. My canon hv30 does the same thing in manual–except it will cut out completely for a second or two.

Inactive

I appreciate the help guys.The Rode mic and maual micsettings didfix the problem. For anyone interested in hearing How the Rode mic does with fireworks heres the video I took right after getting it. Make sure to click “WatchInHigh quality” for the best sound and picture quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m4v5q1PNO4

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap