HD Video Looks ok on Mac, not ok on PC

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing HD Video Looks ok on Mac, not ok on PC

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      damajackal
      Participant

I’ve got a frustrating problem that i’m hoping someone can help me with. I made an HD video recently, and when I output it from FCP, it looked fine. However, if I watch it on my PC, it has horizontal distorted lines that occur especially when the camera is moving. They’re ugly and I want to get rid of them!

If you’re on a mac, you won’t be able to see the problem, but here’s the video in question:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLoR-2uaRU

The worst lines are around 2:20-2:30. The weird thing is, even on YouTube, I can see the lines on PC, but not on the Mac. I recently did the same workflow with some SD files and had no problems.

Is this some kind of Mac/PC conflict? Can anyone tell me what is causing these lines and how to avoid it?

For reference, here are the output settings I used:

NLE: Final Cut
      Dimensions: 1280 x 720
      Video Codec: h.264
      Audio Codec: Integer (Little Endian), H.264
      Duration: 07:08
      Channel Count: 2
      Total bit rate: 3,251

De-interlace source video: On

Size: 166.2 MB

Rob
      Participant

What was your original source resolution, did you record 1080i or 720p?

If you recorded 720p, you shouldn’t have had to deinterlace. If you recorded 1080i, FCP just tosses out a field, which isn’t really deinterlacing.

Did you use Compressor?

damajackal
      Participant

I didn’t use compressor. I used “Convert with Quicktime.” The original files are 1440×1080. I’ve tried it with deinterlacing and without, but neither one fixed the problem. Everyone who has watched it on a Mac has reported no problems.

To save everyone the hassle, I created a shorter clip of the most egregious line issues:

210pe
      Participant

I watched the 6 second clip in 1080p full screenand see no lines.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN