HD through Firewire

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Would using firewire effect the quality of the footage i would be trasfering to my computer from my sony pmw ex3? and if its effecting would it be still better then my sony dsr 370 quality? what is the best way to transfer the footage from my sony pmw ex3 to my computer through firewire

Thank you

Inactive

short answer is no, it’s a digital file transfer, which does not affect video quality

Inactive

Yes, it would affect the quality of the footage being transferred. To transfer XDCAM clips in full, original quality, you need to connect your PMW EX3 through the USB connection. The PMW EX3 can convert and output HDV through Firewire, but this is not going to be the same quality as the XDCAM video formats that the PMW EX3 is capable of recording (full 1920x1080i, 1080P or 720P at 35 Mbps, versus 1440x1080i at 25 Mbps HDV). By the way, you can also transfer XDCAM clips by inserting the SxS flash memory cards in the ExpressCard slot of your capable laptop PC.

That being said, I haven’t tried it, but I would think that the HDV quality would be pretty good through the Firewire connection. As it would be HD, it would be much higher resolution than a Sony DSR 370 DVCAM camcorder is capable of providing.

Tom

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lenses for video — 2021

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap