HD only or standard recording out put- which to purchase for

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders HD only or standard recording out put- which to purchase for

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am interested in purchasing my first high end video camcorder. I will be using it for short hosted segments of places to see that will be uploaded to a website weely and they will be downloaded. It will also be used for corporate business video updates. The Canon XH A1 looks solid but I am worried about how to get the film from the camera to my computer since it only puts out HD. I have been using Ulead for smaller projects but will be using Adobe cs3. Does anyone know if either the Adobe or Ulead will be able to down load from the camera via the IEEE plug?

Should I stick to standard format for now or is there a camcorder that is in $3000-4000 range that puts out HD and Standard?

Thank you,

Inactive

Capturing HD via firewire is the same process as capturing SD, it will just be a much larger file. Premiere pro CS3 will alow you to capture and edit HD footage via firewire (IEEE). My concern is that since you will be showing most of your work on the web, are you sure you want to upload HD files? They are very large and can take awhile to download even when they are compressed WMV HD files or H.264 HD files. Most stuff on the internet is SD even if it was shot on HD because it is much faster and easier to view the files.

I don’t want to discourage you from buying an HD camera, I just think you’d be wasting your money if all you intend to do is show SD on the web. Also, you may want to make sure that you have the equipment capable of utilizing the HD footage when you show your corporate updates, if not you’d be wasting your money on HD quality that will not be seen.

I think HD is great and if you aren’t really concerned with price, by all means get an HD camera. It is very easy to convert any HD footage to SD if need be. Just set your NLE’s export settings to whatever you want. You can even capture SD footage via firewire (IEEE) directly from sony’s HVR-V1U HD camera on the fly with a flip of a switch. I hopes this helps you… If you have anymore questions, concerns or need more information, I’d be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Corey

Participant

CAPTKIRK Wrote:

The Canon XH A1 looks solid but I am worried about how to get the film from the camera to my computer since it only puts out HD.

Are you sure? I am reading the spec, and it says that the camera can record in standard DV, what is more, it can down-convert HDV to DV on playback.

cprybicki Wrote:

Capturing HD via firewire is the same process as capturing SD, it will just be a much larger file.

How come a 25Mbps HDV will be larger than 25Mbps DV unless HDV is converted to a format without interframe compression?

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Participant

watched the video broucher on it and read the spec sheet and did not see that it recorded in SD as well as HD or down converted. I spoke to a Canon rep today and he confirmed that it would do it both ways! Thank you,

I am glad I waited and did not spend the extra money on the Sony HVR ZIU

Inactive

How come a 25Mbps HDV will be larger than 25Mbps DV unless HDV is converted to a format without interframe compression?

Excuse me…bad choice of words. Perhaps you’d like to explain then, why HDV is so heavy on the processors and why you shouldn’t edit the transport stream? Regardless, if the HD quality is to be utilized on the web, you’d still have a much larger file than if it were SD….unless of course you uploaded the AVI… X-D

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap