Hd noise in low light

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I am filming “crowd shots” during a church service from a balcony with a Sony XHA1 HD camera and I am getting noise/snow in the picture. I have tried adjusting all possible settings on the camera to fix this but it still seems to be a problem. The lighting isnt great…I am just wondering if the brighter lighting is the only way to get rid of the static.

EarlC

Use light, or settle for what you can get when locking the gain. Maximum gain is going to give you too much grain, and auto-gain controls will do just that. It’s lower color rendition, or added lights in most instances with today’s HD technology.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Rent or borrow a Sony PD170 SD cam and shoot this scene at 1/30th. You will be amazed at how good it looks. If too bright, of course ratchet down to normal 1/60th.

EarlC

SD (standard def, right) I think the reference here is to HD (high def, right?) No realistic or factual arguments have been made in most threads I’ve read against SD having better low-light capabilities than HD at this time.

Rob
      Participant

1) I believe the HXA1 is Canon, not Sony.

2) Earl, I think Tom is just suggesting the PD170 for it’s low light capabilities. I dont think he’s suggesting that SD has better low light capabilities.

EarlC

TRUE, but the thread was based on the (Canon, XH A1, you’re right), an HD camera with its inherent low-light problems generally speaking. Also, questioning if “brighter lighting” is the only way to address his HD image problems regarding “noise/snow” so it would seem there was no invitation to bring SD into the mix.

I know you aren’t REAL happy with me personally, and that is fine with me, but I hope maybe you can see the point or issue here in spite of any bias.

Rob
      Participant

i definitely don’t have a problem with you, earl. and I do see the point you are making.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN