Hd noise in low light

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am filming “crowd shots” during a church service from a balcony with a Sony XHA1 HD camera and I am getting noise/snow in the picture. I have tried adjusting all possible settings on the camera to fix this but it still seems to be a problem. The lighting isnt great…I am just wondering if the brighter lighting is the only way to get rid of the static.

Use light, or settle for what you can get when locking the gain. Maximum gain is going to give you too much grain, and auto-gain controls will do just that. It’s lower color rendition, or added lights in most instances with today’s HD technology.

Inactive

Rent or borrow a Sony PD170 SD cam and shoot this scene at 1/30th. You will be amazed at how good it looks. If too bright, of course ratchet down to normal 1/60th.

SD (standard def, right) I think the reference here is to HD (high def, right?) No realistic or factual arguments have been made in most threads I’ve read against SD having better low-light capabilities than HD at this time.

Participant

1) I believe the HXA1 is Canon, not Sony.

2) Earl, I think Tom is just suggesting the PD170 for it’s low light capabilities. I dont think he’s suggesting that SD has better low light capabilities.

TRUE, but the thread was based on the (Canon, XH A1, you’re right), an HD camera with its inherent low-light problems generally speaking. Also, questioning if “brighter lighting” is the only way to address his HD image problems regarding “noise/snow” so it would seem there was no invitation to bring SD into the mix.

I know you aren’t REAL happy with me personally, and that is fine with me, but I hope maybe you can see the point or issue here in spite of any bias.

Participant

i definitely don’t have a problem with you, earl. and I do see the point you are making.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap