HD movies created on DVD poor quality

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Use Pinnacle Studio 14 and Premiere Elements 7 to create HD movies on DVD. Quality about 70% as compared to viewing camcorder directlyconnected HD TV. Have Canon HFS100 and video files are mts. Have camcorder set to max resolution. No luck inexperimenting with various camcorder settings and video editor settings. Should i expect this degradation?

birdcat
      Participant

MTS files are 1280 X 720 or 1920 X 1080 AVCHD, high def video files. The DVD specs are 720 X 480 MPEG-2, standard def video.

Many DVD players “uprez” standard DVD to look decent on HDTV monitors but it will never be as good, crisp and clear as true HD source on HDTV.

composite1

Tom,

Bottom line is you’re ‘rezzing’ down HD video to DV. DV is a much lesser resolution than even the lowest end of HD (720p). However, as DV footage goes it will look great compared to DV shot at DV resolution. I’m telling you that the only reason you’re bent is because you saw the original footage in HD. If you want HD to look like HD, you’re either going to have to burn it out to tape or invest in a Blu-Ray Burner. HD is HD and DV is DV and never will the two meet….

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the reply Birdcat and Composite1. When i did my research i concentrated on the selecting a camcorder anddid not research the editing s/w since both Pinnacle and Adobe can edit and create HD movies. Did not realize then that i needed to create blu-ray discs. So next step is to invest in a blu-ray burner.

Tom

birdcat
      Participant

Hi Tom –

Depending on your Blu-Ray player, you can create AVCHD discs on standard DVD’s that will not play on standard DVD players, only Blu-Ray players. (If I remember correctly, Rob Grauert turned me on to that).

Of course I don’t want to dissuade you from getting a BD burner – they are getting cheaper every day. I just got a LiteOn BD burner for $150 with a spindle of 30 BD discs for $50.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks. Just read a post yesterday on Pinnacle’s form regarding burning AVCHD files onto std DVD. I will give that a try before i investing in a BD burner.

doublehamm
      Participant

AVCHD discs burned to DVD are great for small “home”projects that are about 20 minutes long or less. IE – “July 4th picnic” The discs are much cheaper, and work just as well. Yes you need a blu-ray player to play them – as stated – but no need to waste a BD-R if you don’t have to. BD-R discs are getting cheaper, but still not where DVD-R is.

Another reason is from what I hear out there – any BD-R out there at the moment that originated from Ritek (Memorexre-lables these same discs as well as a few other big names) – have been known to be unreadable within a year or even a few months.

A couple other thoughts:

Pinnacle has the AVCHD burn option right there in the menu for easy burning, DVD architect you MUST change the format to AVC, not MPEG-2 in the properties section (MPEG-2 is default even if you change disc size to 4.3GB). If you don’t change it to AVC, your player will scream at you and make funny noises while trying hard to play back the MPEG-2 stream on the DVD – and it will be choppy – but oddly enough still plays.

There are LTH discs out there that are cheaper (and assumably last longsr), but compatibility is an issue. My parents and I both have Samsung Blu-Ray players. They are slightly different models, as one has the wireless capability, but they are both Samsung and both purchased around the same time. The NON wireless player reads the LTH discs just fine. The wireless player has a horrid time trying to read LTH discs. Both players are constantly online and both have the most up to date software. Hopefully the technology gets better soon (in both BD-R and players)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN