HD consumer vs Standard Prosumer Camera

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

To video tape weddings and other events.

Would it be better to get an HD consumer camcorder (JVC GZ-HD6) or a prosumer (Canon GL2)?

Despite the difference in media and the limitations of hard drive recording. Which would be better to produce a professional picture in the end product?

Participant

My hdr-hc1 shoots better standard def than the gl2.

shooting hd, then downconverting to sd for dvd seems to be as good a dvd as anything I’ve ever bought or rented.

Participant

I agree, shooting HD and then down converting makes for very nice SD. Why not get a prosumer HDV camera though? They aren’t that much more expensive. Sony has a lot of options.

Participant

I am a newbie, but aren’t Sony DVCs not compatible with Final Cut Pro? I am in the same boat as far as being in the market for a DVC and I don’t have a huge amount to spend in my budget.

Participant

I am a newbie, but aren’t Sony DVCs not compatible with Final Cut Pro? I am in the same boat as far as being in the market for a DVC and I don’t have a huge amount to spend in my budget.

You may be thinking about the AVCHD files from HD HDD cameras (like the SR11). I don’t know of any camera that is incompatible with any of the major NLE’s (except maybe the Red One).

If you are speaking of AVCHD (MTS files), there are a couple of solutions to handle that (one from VASST springs to mind – Upshift, which converts AVCHD to MPEG2).

Participant

some avchd cams don’t play well with macs. apple has a list of compatibles on its website somewhere.

the sony hdr sr12 does work well.

Participant

Does Sony make AVCHD cameras? I thought that was a Panasonic format. I could be wrong though. All I’ve ever noticed were HDV, XDCam, from Sony consumer/prosumer HD.

“I am a newbie, but aren’t Sony DVCs not compatible with Final Cut Pro?”

I’ve never heard of anything not working in FCP from Sony. The only thing that may be buggy is HDV, but that’s because it’s HDV, not because it’s Sony.

As mentioned earlier, RED one might give you problems, but I know that camera is made to be used with FCP. So you wouldn’t have problems with that camera. I’m sure that camera is out of your price range and would be overkill for whatever you need though.

Participant

Sony’s HD HDD cameras are AVCHD (at least the SR11 and SR12 are). I have the SR11.

I copy the MTS (AVCHD) files down to the PC via USB and work with them directly in Vegas Pro 8.

This also assumes your working in HD – SD on the SR11 & 12 is MPEG2 which most NLE’s should be able to use.

Participant

ohhhh. I’m not into HDD cameras, so I guess that’s why i never noticed.

Participant

is the Sony hdr sr12 good in low light?

Participant

The SR12 has a minimum illumination of 5 lux. My GL2 that i used to have was 6 lux, and it wasn’t too bad.

Participant

The SR12 has a minimum illumination of 5 lux. My GL2 that i used to have was 6 lux, and it wasn’t too bad.

Plus you also have Night Shot (IR) if you don’t mind the weird look….

Participant

Is there any notable difference between SR 11 and SR 12 when it comes to light? I noticed SR11 has 0 lux while the latter has 5 lux.

Participant

The only difference between the SR11 and SR12 is the SR11 has a 60GB hard drive as opposed to the SR12 which has a 120GB hard drive – Otherwise they are identical.

Participant

I think the confusion comes from the nightshot mode. the sr11 and sr12 are the same except for the harddrives.

speaking of nightshot modes…. a not so well documented trick with the sonys is to set the camera to nightshot mode and then add a digital filter from the menus to change the ugly green to b+w or Sepia.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Hand placing a computer component on a motherboard

The best PC components for your custom video editing computer

Building a video editing computer from scratch? We've rounded up the best PC components out there to help you build a powerful editing machine.
homicide-bootstrap