Participant

Hello, I would like to buy myself a high definition video camera in the
      near future and have been looking at a few of the cheaper (costing less
      than $800) ones around the web.

The main reason I want to get myself one is to shoot wildlife videos
      and of all this beautiful scenery around here along the coast of
      Georgia. Most of the cameras I’ve been looking at have very weak
      optical zooms of 10X – 12X. I certainly want/need a much bigger zoom to
      be able to zoom in close to the wildlife without spooking them.

Of course, I certainly want a video camera that takes great video, but
      here are my most important feature needs:

Great low-light recording

true widescreen recording ability

long optical zoom of at least 20X power (unless I can get a quality add-on lens to extend a lower optical zoom).

I’m a “BIG DUMMY” when it comes to video cameras and have a few
      questions for anyone who don’t mind answering them. Any help or camera
      recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Remember, my budget will
      be no more than $800 dollars!

Thank you very much and I really do appreciate your time.

1. First of all, which High Definition format would you recommend and why?

2. When recording in 24p or 30p is sound captured along with the video? If so, is the sound in sync with it?

3. Is the camera loud when recording in the 24p or 30p modes?

4. Can high definition video be shot on regular MiniDV tapes or must I use an HDV tape? Does it really matter?

5. How will adding a lens (wide angle or telephoto) affect recording in high definition?

6. Can I still record in widescreen mode if I use an add-on lens attached to my video camera?

7. Will 24p or 30p work at the longest telephoto end of the lens?

8. Will 24p or 30p work with a wide angle or telephoto add-on lens?

9. Will 24p or 30p work well in low-light situations?

10. Can I burn my hi-def video to regular DVD’s? If so will the
      video still be hi-def or will it be down converted to standard
      definition?

11. Any camcorder suggestions?

Inactive

http://www.camcorderinfo.com

Participant

1. AVC-Intra because it’s comparable to HDCam but records at a much lower data rate.

2. Yes. If you record sound with the on camera mic or connect a mic to the camera, your sound will be in sync no matter what the framerate is.

3. No. video cameras aren’t loud.

4. I could be wrong because I don’t use crappy HDV, but at this point, video is all 0s and 1s, and HDV is compressed to fit on a miniDV sized tape. I doubt there is anything “HD” about the HD MiniDV tapes. So you probably could just use a DV tape. I could be wrong though.

5. huh? affect it how? your video will still be high def

6. yes

7. yes

8. yes

9. Depends on the camera. Frame rate has nothing to do with that

10. I’ve heard that you can burn HD to SD DVDs, but you can’t burn a long video. SD DVDs are only 4.5 GB and BluRay is 25GB.

11. Panasonic HPX3000…but that’s not $800.

Participant

I bought a Panasonic HDC-SD100 from B&H (bhphotovideo.com) for $540. It originally retailed for around $1100 but has been overshadowed by some new Panny models. It’s got 3 cmos chips and can shoot in native 24p. I’ve used it for exactly the same purpose you describe; scenery shooting here in beautiful Southeast Georgia (I’m in Statesboro).

There’s a review of the SD-100 at camcorderinfo.com, just put “hdc-sd100” in the search box and select the “review of hdc-sd100” when the choices come up.

For a consumer camcorder, it’s got a lot of features plus it shoots straight to SD cards. Depending on your editing software (I’m using Magix 14+) you should be able to work the footage with no problems at all.

Inactive

HV30 is kinda cool for that

Participant

I would go with a reasonably cheap HDV orHD hardrivemodel (that’s all you’ll get under $800). Most reasonable camcorders which I know of that are over $300 have a good optical zoom capability – 20x or over… so that’s probably something you won’t need to worry about.

“recording in 24p or 30p”… “24p or 30p”

I do not see any need to record in 24p. If the classic “film” look is necessary, then I would record with the standard frame rate of 30 and convert it to 24p during the editing process before the production is rendered.

About your question of looking for a camcorder, check out some of JVC’s High-Def hard disk models, but realize however that they record in AVC-HD – so make sure you have editing software or a video converter that supports it.

Participant

Yeah, the computer upgrade is what will be next. Seems many people have a heck of a time with the AVCHD format and/or any HD editing. Also, I’m kinda nervous about recording to a hard drive. I’ll be outdoors around some thick vegetation and fear I’d bump the cam and erase everything recorded to it. That would suck BIG time!

Anyway, I’m still researching and don’t know what I’m going to decide on.

I appreciate everyones input and hope to see more. By the way, I’m in Brunswick, Georgia, Neil. You are not too far from me. GO DAWGS and Eagles!

Thanks to all!

Inactive

Final cut express supports AVC-HD. Go cowboys!

Participant

I’m a Windows user. Cowboys? OK State boys? If so, they’re going all right! GOING DOWN! LOL

I think you guys really have a good team and may be a team to keep an eye on this year! That running back y’all have is fast as a Jet! But, some big boys are coming up that way in September and maybe we won’t mash him too bad!

Anyway, sorry to get sidetracked, but I sure love college football and can’t wait for it to get here! GO DAWGS!

Inactive

I would like to hijack for three second to commend Gman on being the first person in a long time to approach the “what camera should I get” thread the proper way, with specific questions and info about exactly what he will be using it for. Can we sticky this for others to model after? HA ha

Gman, One thing I would like to add, is think about weight and size. if you are lugging your equipment into the woods, the lighter and less accessories you can take, the easier your life will be. Unfortunately the two cams that come to mind are way outside that $800 range.

Good luck.

Participant

Now the camera is still reducing prices, and HD devices is so popular used. If you want to convert HD to SD DVD, the converter software is a necessary thing. For the iDVD etc is still not professional at burning HD DVD directly,and also your computer should be enough powerful to deal with HD video shoot by your camera.

Good Luck!

Inactive

If you’re shooting wildlife, you’ll need interchangable lenses
      if you’re a big dummy, I’d definitely suggest buying used
      you should be able to find something good on craig’s list or somesuch

what wildlife cam reviews did you find at camcorderinfo?

Participant

Hello

I recommend you Canon VixiaHF10. This is what I currently use to stream my online shows on tikilive.com. Professional look and functions, HD compliant, around $500.

Here is a presentation:http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-vixia-hf10/4505-6500_7-32786396.htmlHave a look and hope you ll have some answers.

Regards

Participant

The Canon Vixia HF S10 also shoots a whopping 900 lines of resolution. Sounds simple for some people if you’re recording Full HD (1920×1080). The average amount of horizontal lines for a consumer Full HD camcorders is around 675. It’s probably the HD camcorder I’ll upgrade to in years to come when I upgrade to HD, if no other prosumer HD camera shoots such fine detail. Right now, I’m staying with my JVC standard definition GZ-MG505.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap