Have a greenish color with my VX2100 video

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Uh…..if you’re getting a professional unit like a VX2100, you probably already know about setting white balance.
      But if not, allow me to pontificate:
      With almost every camcorder around, you can either manually take a white balance reading off a white card, or you can set the balance to one of several presets (daylight, indoors, fluorescent).

If you have done a white balance, and it’s still green, try some experiments. Like, try doing a white balance off a pale green card, and see if that makes the colors right. Or try doing white balances off different colors to see if the white balance is doing anything.

Also, is it just green in the viewfinder, or does the recorded image look greenish when you upload to your computer and examine it on your computer monitor?

Hope it’s just a matter of forgetting to do a white balance. πŸ˜•
      Ken Hull

Inactive

I just bought this used VX2100 over EBay and have been experimenting with it. I noticed that the video color has a greenish tinge to it, especially in outdoor shots. A white object will have a pale green hue to it. I have tried to see if I can adjust the color but so far I have not had any luck. Is this normal or can it be adjusted or do I have a defective camcorder? Any help is appreciated.
      Dave

Inactive

Ken;
      Thanks for your reply. Actually, this is my first camcorder although I have used vhs and super 8 cameras. I followed the instructions on how to set the white balance. I set the Auto Lock release and then pressed the white balance button, pointed at a sheet of white paper and waited until the indicator stopped flashing and then pressed the white balance button again to save the setting. I still get a greenish tinge to the video. I even reset the camera to the factory setting. I called Sony for help and the operator said that this not normal and I should contact repair. Unfortunately, I bought the camera on EBay and there is no warranty. I want to determine if this is indicative of a defective camera or if it is something else. If it is defective I will go back to Ebay and demand to return the camera. I put a video on my website at the below link so you can see for yourself the green in the video. Any other suggestions? I have to determine quick if this camera is defective.

http://www.minonktalk.com/pheasantroad.wmv

Inactive

Thanks for the bad news. Actually, I should have known better. I sold 2 motorcycles on Ebay with no problem but this is the first and last time I buy something on Ebay. Do I have any recourse with Ebay because the camera was described as in perfect working order? In fact, the gal who I bought it from even called me up and chatted with me before she sent the camera. I tried everything and it is still green. I appreciate your getting back to me. I do have a tripod but I didn’t have time to get it as the pheasants never inform me when they are going to show up.
      Dave

Inactive

WOW!!!!!! 😯 Now THAT’S what I call GREEN!!!!
      Yeah, I think that camcorders only hope is a repair shop (probably very expensive).

But I’m curious about your comment:
      "I noticed that the video color has a greenish tinge to it, especially in outdoor shots."
      Did you mean that indoor colors look almost right? Maybe some reds were visible? All I cculd see in your video were greens.

Ken Hull

Inactive

I am posting an indoor shot to show you the greenish tinge there also. I am very upset with the seller who sold me this camera because she actually called me from Massachussetts and discussed the camera with me. I can’t believe she would do that if she knew the camera was defective. Is it possible that the camera was damaged during delivery. I noticed that Sony has a recall for camcorders that had a defective CC that resulted in a blurred greenish image in the LCD. My image shows ok in the LCD but is green. Do you think I should take a chance and send it in for repair? Anyhow, below is the link to the indoor video.

http://www.minonktalk.com/schotzie.wmv

Inactive

Thanks for your help and advice. I sent the seller an email this afternoon asking her if she had the same problem I’ve been having and haven’t heard back from her yet. If she doesn’t respond by tomorrow I will definitely send her a Dear John letter advising her that the camera is defective based on my observation and on other people’s comments. Yes. I have the box it came in and also her address so I have some ammunition and I will keep you posted. If I can get my money back I am buying a new VX2100 like I should have in the first place.

Inactive

OK, so now I’ve seen both outdoor and indoor videos. Interesting…..
      The indoor video clearly shows some reds. Although the greens are stronger. I don’t think I’ve seen any blues yet.

Ummm…. just to further beat a dead horse: Have both videos been white balanced by aiming at a white object? Have you tried setting the camcorder to a white-balance preset (like INDOORS or OUTDOORS)? I ask that because I’m wondering if the problem is in the MEASUREMENT of the color by the white-balance circuit.

Just call me Kurious Ken πŸ™‚

Inactive

I have a link to another video that I took outdoors this morning after setting the camera to factory default. Everything looks washed out and definitely has a green tinge. I am going to contact the seller on Ebay today and tell her the camera is defective. Here is the link. Let me know if you agree that this video is not good enough for a VX2100.

http://www.minonktalk.com/hollytruck.wmv

Inactive

The reality is I have been taken, right? I paid for this camera with my credit card and I can withhold payment thru them. You do agree that the video I sent you is terrible. Since I have not heard back from the seller I guess now is the time to get the ball rolling. This is going to be fun!

Inactive

To continue the saga I am posting the reply I received from the seller of the VX2100.

Hi Dave,
      I never had a problem with greenish tinge. Have you tried viewing on a different TV or computer monitor? Make sure the white balance is set to Auto and make sure you remember any changes you made so you can change them back if they’re not right.
      Kath

So what do you make of that reply. She sounds sincere. What do I do next? Send her a link to my videos?

Inactive

I just called Sony after finding out that there is a recall on the VX2100 to repair at the following link: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=DCRVX2100&news_id=118

Sony girl told me that my camera is eligible to be repaired free of charge. So what would you do?

Inactive

Hank,
      So, I guess you’re saying that his camcorder is basically OK, just might need a light magenta filter? (I’M KIDDING!!! πŸ˜‰ )
      This is definately a malfunction that Dave cannot live with. And he should try to get the seller to refund his money.
      If all attempts to bring the seller to justice fail…. well, the camcorder might be repairable. It would be worth getting an estimate.

Here’s hoping justice is done! 😑
      Ken Hull

Participant

Good luck Parrot!

I’m saving this thread as a permanent reference in my consumer survival manual. Thanks, compusolver!

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Participant

a valuable lesson for those of us mooching to get started on a shoestring. this is exactly why i went with newer low end 3 ccd consumer cams until i learned more about what i’m doing.

people have made very interesting films with much less camera, and there is so much to learn about lighting, editing, etc. heck, i’m even thinking about picking up a 3rd camera. let’s say i use these for 6 months and then sell them or give them to my family when i’ve learned enough to justify buying a couple of good prosumer models. what have i lost?

let the buyer beware :).

Inactive

I finally figured out where the greenish tinge comes from. If I focus on a yellow object, there is no color at all which means one of the chips is definitely bad. Hank, thanks for checking that Sony qualifier for me. I guess I better call Sony back and determine if this repair really is free or if there is a catch. Does anyone want to trade places with me? I wish the seller was a real jerk so I could really go after her but she seems like a nice person. She said she never used the camera very much. Is it possible that this camera was bad from day one and she never noticed it? Color me gullible.

Inactive

Hank; I copied the wording from Sony’s class action agreement. It appears to me that Sony will limit the coverage to $271 only to a person who had the camera repaired on their own. If Sony does the repair it is free. Below is the wording:

(1) Repair

If a member of the Settlement Class owns an Settlement Class Product and the product does not work due to a failed CCD imager, SEL will continue its program to repair it at no charge to the member. SEL will also pay to return the repaired camera or camcorder to the Settlement Class member. SEL will not, however, provide a no-charge repair if the CCD imager has failed, or if the product exhibits the LCD or viewfinder "blank" or distorted image problem, due to the abuse, misuse, or neglect of the product after its original purchase at retail.

(2) Reimbursement

I f a Settlement Class member has already paid to have the CCD imager in his or her Settlement Class Product repaired, SEL will reimburse the member for the cost of that repair, and related shipping costs, subject to the following limitations:

SEL shall not provide any reimbursement for the cost to repair a digital still camera listed above, and related shipping costs, in an amount that exceeds $171.00 per camera;

SEL shall not provide any reimbursement for the cost to repair a camcorder listed above, and related shipping costs, in an amount that exceeds $271.00 per camcorder;

I have already contacted Sony and they have given me a work order to repair the camera. So videomakers what does this poor sap do? Get the camera repaired or send it back to the seller? I know what Hank’s position is. Does everyone agree that I should return the camera?

Inactive

Dave,
      Apparently you’ve had serveral communications with the seller. Save copies of the corresponence. If the communications have been by phone, send her an email or letter (making sure you have a copy) that references the phone calls, and states the problem, what agreeement (if any) you’ve reached, and what you plan to do now. That way, if this comes to court, you have something concrete that describes exactly what was communicated between you.
      Good luck πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Ken;
      Thanks for your advice. I think what I will do is let the seller know that she sold me a defective camcorder and that I will send it in to Sony for repair. If Sony refuses to repair it for free, I will send the camcorder back to her and go from there. If Sony agrees to fix it for free, I will keep basically a new camcorder. All of this communication will take place via email thru Ebay for documentation purposes. Does that sound like a plan?
      Dave

Participant

No offese to any participating parties but I believe parrot is suffering an "ID 10 T" malfunction.

I had the same issue as him and I got my money back. Needless to say I will never buy something that important and expensive from ebay again.

I only buy from B&H Photo Video.

Inactive

This is the first time I purchased anything off of Ebay and it will be my last. I sold 2 motorcyles with no problem on Ebay but this experience has been a disaster. I already told the seller that the camera is defective according to Ebay and the camera is useless to me and want to return it. She replied back to me and told me not to send it to Sony for repair and she will get back to me. Why would she not want to send the camera into Sony for repair? I am beginning to think that she sold the camera for some other unscrupulous bastard with a lousy Ebay rep and not she is caught in the middle. The saga continues.

Inactive

Hmmmmm…. πŸ˜•
      Maybe you could get the camcorders serial number, then contact Sony, briefly explaining the situation and asking them if they have a record of something unusual with that serial number (like it was stolen, or the warrantee was voided because camcorder was abused).

Just an idea, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

My girlfriends first reaction also was that the camera was stolen. I already gave Sony the serial number and they are willing to repair it for nothing so they do have the serial number. I would think they would have checked it out. Maybe I should contact Massachussetts police to see if they have a record of the camcorder being stolen. I am from Illinois by the way.

Inactive

For anyone who is still observing this saga of the defective VX2100, the seller agreed to take the camera back with a full refund and she wants to turn around and send the camcorder into Sony for repairs. Can you figure that one out?

Inactive

Hank;
      Here’s the deal. I paid $1600 for the VX2100 with a soft leather bag, a 3 watt light, 2 extra NP-F960 batteries. The camera does not have a mark on it and looks brand new. She said she didn’t use it very much. Sony already sent me a UPS label and said they would fix it for free and they said it will be as good as new when they return it. I figure I have $2500 worth of equipment if Sony does fix it. I agree that she probably knew the camcorder was defective and now that she can get it fixed for free she wants it back. I don’t want to give her the pleasure of getting it back and refurbish for all the grief she has caused me. What would you do?
      Dave

Inactive

By the way I have the copyright to this saga. To continue, the seller called me this morning from Mass. and apologized for what is happening. She offered to take the camera back if I send it into Sony and Sony then decides to charge me for the repairs. She said that she also got onto a forum with her problem and the feedback to her was watch out for the guy who bought the camera. He may have another camera that is defective and that is the one he is going to return to you and then keep yours. So there is 2 sides to every story. She said this was her first sale on Ebay and her last. I believe she is sincere since she called me from Mass. and offered to take the camera back. I am going to send the camera into Sony and hope that they fix it free of charge. If so, then I am happy.

Dave from Minonk, IL.

Inactive

[quote="parrot"]By the way I have the copyright to this saga.[/quote]
      Sounds like you’ve got the makings of a mini series; and now you’ve got the camcorder to shoot it! X-D
      We’ll all be waiting for next years Videomaker video contest, to see your entry, "The Camcorder from eBay Hell".

Good luck with the repair! πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Regarding my experience on Ebay with the camcorder I will be writing about it on my weekly editorial for the community website I support. I certainly gained much knowledge in this forum and I thoroughly appreciate the feedback I received from this forum and I hope to be contributor in a more positive manner in the future. In the meantime I just want to get my camcorder repaired so I can start turning out those videos. I noticed that some of you have chastised me for jumping right in with an expensive camcorder. The reason I wanted the camera is because of its low light capabilities. One of my video projects is to document the history of my community and I want to interview many oldtimers in an unobtrusive manner as possible minus the lights and all that so that they feel comfortable. I have taking pictures for 45 years starting with a Super 8 in the 1960’s and have used Pentaxes and Nikons. I just want to use the best technical equipment out there. I gave up golfing, motorcycling, drinking, and smoking and at age 65 I am not going to cut corners on something I love to do. Time is running out. When I receive my refurbished VX2100 I will post a video showing what its real capabilities are.
      Dave from Minonk

Inactive

Hank;
      That is the other reason I went with a pro type camera – to be able to use an external mic. I was thinking of buying a Panasonic PV GS320 but it doesn’t have an external mic or even a hot shoe. Panasonic is dumbing down their prosumer models in hopes of people moving up to their pro models. If thats what they want, fine but that doesn’t mean I will move up to a Panasonic. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the mic as I definitely will be investing in that as well.
      Dave

Inactive

I would like to make one last comment on the defective camera I bought over Ebay. The seller contacted me and told me she feels terrible about what happened as she agreed that the camera is defective based on the video I sent to her. She said she did not use the camera much and didn’t notice that the picture had declined. What is really incredible is that she told me that if Sony decides to charge me for the repair to the camera which I just sent in, that she will pay for the repair! You can’t get any more honest than that. I feel very fortunate that I bought the camcorder from a very honest person on Ebay. It looks like everything should turn out for the best.
      Dave

Inactive

parrot Wrote:

Hank;
      That is the other reason I went with a pro type camera – to be able to use an external mic. I was thinking of buying a Panasonic PV GS320 but it doesn’t have an external mic or even a hot shoe. Panasonic is dumbing down their prosumer models in hopes of people moving up to their pro models. If thats what they want, fine but that doesn’t mean I will move up to a Panasonic. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the mic as I definitely will be investing in that as well.
      Dave

Yeah, they discontinued the PV GS300 which HAS a mic input… but, I called a few retailers and found out they had an open box PV GS300 for $350 =]. Circuit City has tons of camcorders so I guess they are a good place to check… but you have an awesome camera now so this is kind of useless info.

Inactive

Good job Parrot, your very lucky to have came out with the good end. Just be careful next time.

Inactive

I just everyone to know that I received my repaired Sony VX2100 back from Sony and it works great. Makes brilliant video. I am very fortunate to have run into a very honest person on Ebay. So now I should have a good as new camcorder at a reduced price. The green is gone!
      Dave

Inactive

Dave, that’s great!!! πŸ˜€
      So, are you going to show us a video clip of pheasants taken with your repaired VX2100?

πŸ˜‰ Ken Hull

Inactive

As soon as I can find the pheasants I will create a video. This time of the year the pheasants don’t show up too often. In fact, as soon as this freezing weather goes away I will take a video of my 5 outdoor cats and put it on the forum. I will find something to shoot.
      Dave

Inactive

I finally received my repaired VX2100 from Sony and the camera works great. For those of you who recall my greenish video from the camcorder when it was malfunctioning, I sent the camcorder into Sony on a recall program and they repaired it free. Anyhow, here is a link to a flash video I made with my repaired VX2100 of a local horse auction. Here is the link http://www.minonktalk.com/flashplayer.aspx?url=videos/horseauctionclip.flv&title=Salem%20Home%20Horse%20Auction

Dave

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap