Has anyone filmed…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have a wedding that I am filming soon where the Bride and Groom will be making their exit in the dark. Their guests will be all lined up holding Sparklers (you know, the things your kids play with on the 4th of July).

Has anyone seen this, or better yet filmed this? I am curious to how it turned out on film. What settings did you use? Did the sparklers provide enough light?

Thanks,
      Mark

Inactive

😯 I have never seen this before (let alone do it) but I would think that the main problem here will be how much light will these sparklers give off? Because you dont know, it will be hard to set your camera up correctly ahead of time.

Shoot… while this goes against all practical sense, Im thinking you might have to just set your camera on auto mode for the exposure since it will vary but make sure you use manual focus because the camera will probably not have enough light to lock onto anything. Because this is not optimal light for videoing, you will just have to do the best you can. If the bride and groom complain, youll just have to point out that this wasnt your idea and that you just filmed what happened. If you have a Sony VX, youll have a better chance than probably using any other camera.

This is a good one though. Ill be interested in seeing what everyone else will have to say.

RAM

Inactive

compusolver:

Yes, I’ve done this. I use a 50watt Bescor mounted on one camera.

Hank,

That thought crossed my mind too but I guess I would have been a little reluctant in pulling out the lights only because I would be afraid of ruining the effect they were after. Call me chicken!

Did anyone say anything?

RAM

Inactive

Yeah, I don’t think I’m going to use lights. Obviously the lighting is my main concern and have expressed that to my Bride. But, if there a lot of sparklers, it might turn out pretty cool…. assuming that I have time to white balance.

I’ll let you know how it goes

Inactive

I think the biggest concern will be the sparklers burning out the shot thus making everything else impossible to see.

You have basically three choices:

You can leave the camera wide open of which you will probably be able to make out bodies but the sparklers will come in WAY hot.

or

Leave the cam on auto which will cool the sparklers down but you run the risk of not maybe not seeing everyone or anyone for that matter. However if there are a lot of sparklers, that might generate enough light so that you can make out bodies.

or

Use a light like Hank did.

For sure let us all know how this turns out!

Good luck,

RAM

Inactive

I would use a small "fill" light. Set the manual controls for a couple f-stops down from ambient. Do a test with the fill light and set from that, even a dry run the day before might give you a good confidence factor. Let the sparklers go over exposed- better than losing the total shot.
    ***My main "fear factor" on this is clothing catching on fire. A lot of sparklers can generate too many opportunities for burns when that close to each other. If they are held high to create an archway over the bride and groom, suggest a fire extingrisher be handy- this is not a joke.
    Hope it turns out great!

Inactive

compusolver:

I’d at least HAVE a light mounted at the ready.

That’s a GREAT idea Hank!

As usual of course… πŸ˜‰

Always good to have plan B on stand by.

RAM

Participant

I agree that this is not the safest idea for exiting a wedding service. A lot of times people have good ideas but don’t realize the implications should something go wrong. Unless they practice in advance this is just an incident waiting to happen. I love sparklers but only under direct supervision. Who will light them all at the same time? Will children be involved? etc…

I would talk with the the wedding planner or the bride and see if there is another avenue they might consider. Prehaps soap bubbles. They film great! Soap will come out of clothes and eyes, burns won’t. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Still it would be cool to see it done…so I don’t know. πŸ˜•

Jaelah

Inactive

Believe me, it virtually takes an act of God to get some of these brides not to hold their boquets too high or to turn towards the camera during the ceremony. I think the videographer, the lowliest of vendors (in the eyes of some, it would seem) trying to convince a bride to change a major effect in her wedding is going to be about like trying to stop a semi on the Interstate by stepping in front of it and holding out your hands. I’ve lost money on better bets than that.

I think it would be wise to have a light ready, just in case. I hate to say it, but I would be tempted to have the camera set on auto mode, or maybe set everything on auto, and once the camera gets to where it wants to be, set the iris to manual, and adjust it for better picture.

Good luck! Tell us how it goes.

Inactive

I’ve had lots of good ones too, which is always great. What I was really getting at though was that while moving obstacles around for a better video is usually perfectly acceptable, asking to get a large effect changed might not work out. Personally, I’ve seen a few bridezillas snap at their own family for suggesting changes. I’d hate, as a vendor, to ask them if they would consider dropping the whole sparkler thing.

That being said, I agree that it’s a huge fire hazard, and no matter what you do, it’s going to be a bear to tackle on the event day. Hank’s suggestion to practice is a great one. If the scene is dark, turning up the exposure will make the couple show up better, but all the "purdy" of the sparklers will be reduces to a hot white blaze of ugliness. It’s an interesting shot to take. I still think having a light on hand will be a good idea. Odds are, with all the bright sparklers all over, they’re porbably not going to notice one 50w lamp on a camera.

Inactive

comupsolver:

An earlier post suggested letting the sparklers go overexposed, but I think your client will be very disappointed if you blow out all those colors!

Going with automatic exposure is also likely to blow them out. Do a pre-ceremony test and figure where to set exposure to get the bride somewhat while retaining the colors of the sparklers.

I think he’s talking about me! πŸ˜‰

Hank,

You know as well as I that when filming a bright light like a sparkler in an all black arena is pretty tough if not impossible. Something is going to suffer no matter what you do. I may have been a little radical but I was more or less just basically making a point. Sure doing a trial run will help but it will be too hard to control that concentrated light ball and still try and hold other images let alone with the proper color. I do like your fill light idea. I thinking that this is the only real solution in shooting a good shot with these circumstances.

RAM

Inactive

Ahh… You did mention something that I never thought of that may help the cause. That’s what I love about this fourm. πŸ˜›

The key to maybe pulling this off might be in the distance you are shooting from. As long as you are not on top of the sparklers, that bright little ball of fire won’t be dominating your frame. If you can keep that sparkler glow small, it might not burn out as much thus giving you a better chance of picking up the bride and groom along with anyone else in the shot.

Yeah…. I’m thinking you should be able to do it… especially if you can practice like you said and find the right amount of distance you could get away with. Sure the bride and groom won’t be filling the frame but I’m pretty sure that the overall affect will be captured. After all, it’s supposed to be about them heading out into the world side by side on their own. That kind of exit might be kind of a cool way to end the video… especially with a little freeze framage!

Hank, What do you think… yeah, no , maybe?

RAM

Inactive

Yeah I see your point. I guess I would have to see how it would look. It’s always hard to speculate how something will turn out when you have no idea of what you’re dealing with in the first place.

I use freeze frames every once in a while. It’s a neat affect if you do it in the right place at the right time.

RAM

Inactive

People, people, people…..

Let me start by spouting out a couple cliches:

You can’t see the forest for the trees….The answer is as plain as the nose on your face…..Think outside the box…

In other words, forget trying to solve a difficult situation by thinking about exposure, focus, and so on. The easiest way to solve a problem is to ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM.

So….have them hold rocket engines instead of sparklers. I guarantee you’ll have enough light for adequate exposure.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist. I just thought this technically challenging thread could use a little stupid humor at this point.)

Inactive

…or instead of that, they could hold glowing Uranium and Plutonium rods perhaps? It might not give off so much light as you’d like, but at least there’d be nobody left at the end to complain about the finished product! πŸ˜€

But seriously, I think this has been very well-discussed. Now it’s a matter of puting it into practice. I’d like to see this video when it’s done, personally.

πŸ™‚

Inactive

Wise guys! X-D X-D X-D

RAM

• Viewing 15 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap