Hard Drives

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Right now I run a 80G porgram hard drive only. A 250G working file only. I need more memory. Would adding a 3rd hard drive overheat my computer?
      I run a 3.6 processor with 2G of Ram. The 3rd hard drive I wanted to add was a 500G of go for the Terrabite(sp).

Inactive

In my old computer setup, I had 6 hard drives, so yes, it’s possible.

However, I had to install cooling fans on the hard drive bay area.

Also, after about 5 years, I lost one of my drives. It was a cheap Maxtor, so I got what I deserved, but still.

Participant

As On a roll said 3 HDDs is nothing at the station I work at we have up to 6-8 drives in our old computers and up to 10 in our nas systems. Having a fan blowing air directly on them is advisable. On my home sysem i have 3 drives and a fan blowing directly on them and they never get hot which will keep them from expiring early. Also drives today are designed to last for at least 5 years (but can last forever it seams we have computers at the station that have been running for almost as long as I have been alive). This being said I would not trust a drive longer than 5 years as the failure rate goes up dramaticly from there (which explains why the longest warranty for drives is 5 years). With the cost of drives today it is safer to buy new drives at least every 5 years or so just to be sure. I use the old ones for data that is not critical. I have never had a drive go bad before (knock on wood) but everyone I know seams to have had one go and believe me it sucks to loose data especially if loosing data means loosing money. Any moving part will eventually fail, period.

Inactive

Hard drives are not really major generators of heat like CPU’s, graphics card’s or PW’s are. It will really come down to how cool you can keep the inside of the box. Circulation is the key. You need to get the heat that is generated out of the box. I have 3 PCs networked together and on each case I have 3 case fans. Two on the back sucking air out and one on the side bringing air in. The CPU and G-card also have small cooling fans as well as the PW. My machines are all AMDs so Im dealing with a hotter running CPU by default. If you can keep the ambient temperature inside your box around 80 degrees, you shouldnt really need any special HD fan especially with just 3 drives. If you find that it gets very warm inside or you notice that the outside of the case is very warm, then you better do something quick because the bottom line is that heat is the enemy of EVERYTHING inside your box.

RAM

Inactive

I’ve seen some very odd concepts in keeping computer gear cool. One I’m aware of featured a mini dorm-style refrigerator that was converted into a computer tower! A metal frame was added to the interior of the working fridge, and the computer builder literally assembled a fully functional PC using this as his chassis. He engineered a unique panel that contained all the computer connections (USB, Firewire, Network, monitor, kb/mouse, etc) except for power, which he tapped into the mini-fridges power to obtain. It was actually quite innovative, though the cost involved, not just for the mini-fridge, but also the custom connection plate and the cost of running a fridge on top of your computer running costs, I don’t think it’s an idea I would entertain.

However, there are some serious advantages to this. For example, dust can’t collect on a computer in a sealed case. Plus, the refrigerator door still has the rack to store cold beverages. Now that would be nice! πŸ˜€

Inactive

COOL!

All you would need is a beer tapper handle and you would have the first computer that can dispense beer! X-D

RAM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors β€” 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap