Hard Drive Recorders

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

I have a Hitachi DZMV550A minidv recorder. I have been using it to record my son hitting a baseball. I record onto a DVD RAM in the camera then download the clip onto my computer and look at it frame by frame to analyze his hitting mechanics. The problem is during the download process it appears data is lost. Some frames are missing. I was told this camrea was not set up for this type recording to look at frame by frame and I was also told that downloading using a USB cable is the problem. I was told I need a video camera that has a IEEE 1394 connection prot (The Hitachi does not have this type connection port).

I am looking for a new camcorder and have been checking out the cameras with hard drives. Specifically the JVC GZ-MG77. However, I found out it too does not have a IEEE 1394 connection but also uses a USB connection for downloading into computers. I was assured that there would be no data loss because I would be downloading from hard drive to hard drive. I am skeptical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Participant

You want to find out whether your camera saves video as a compressed file. If so, you’re not going to get your frame-by-frame results, because of the way video compression works.

If you get a camera that uses miniDV tape, it will have a firewire connection and you’ll get uncompressed AVI files which will have what you want.

So, what major league team is going to get your son? πŸ™‚

Participant

Thanks so much Hank. Do you have any recommendations. I thought that since the JVC recorders record at 60 frames per second it would be what I needed. Most other cameras only record at 30 frames per second. Are you saying compression, or the lack thereof, is the key? Not frames per second? As you can tell I know little in this field.

He is only 10. He likes the Atlanta Braves. However, we are just having fun now. No talk of the majors. He just wants to hit one over the fence. 8)

Participant

Thanks a bunch! I’ll check into what is available in miniDV.

Ben

Participant

Hank,

I took your advice. I looked around and settled on a Canon Elura 100. I know there are better cameras, but I thought I would start there and see how it works. According to Canon, the fps can be set at 30fps or 60fps.

See you in the majors!

Thanks,

Ben

Participant

Hank,

Got the Elura 100 and could not figure out how to set the FPS to 60i. Called Canon back and guess what? They now told me I could not change the FPS. 😑 When I was investigating the camera before purchasing a rep at Canon had told me I could set at 30i or 60i on the Elura 100. 😑 😑 Anyway, now that I have the camera I took some footage and captured it onto my computer. The quality sucked. The quality was actually better on clips I took using the Hitachi minidvd. I hooked both cameras up to the TV. They both had great footage frame by frame of son’s swing. This convinced me that I was losing quality while capturing in the computer. I am guessing that this is because the footage is being compressed. Is it possible to capture into my computer, edit, and burn onto a DVD without losing quality. If so, what format do you suggest to use when capturing onto the computer and what capture program do you suggest. IF this can’t be done without losing quality, I am guessing I will have to store the video on the minidv tapes.

I have been editing the videos and burning them onto dvds to keep a history of my son’s progression. I like to go back to an ealier clip and show him how much he has improved. I also thought this would be something interesting for him to have to show his son when he is a father. Anyway, I want the video to remain in good quality that can be viewed frame by frame.

Thanks for your help. πŸ™‚

Ben

Participant

Thanks Hank for all your help. As you can tell, I know very little about video equipment. When you said to deinterlace the stills I did a search on google to see what that was. WOW. Just learning all of this stuff, formats, codex, virtualdub, decompress, deinterlace, ect, ect. could be a career. I decided to test some things before burning anymore brain cells. I saved a clip off the camcorder to my computer in the uncompressed AVI format. I then used SonicMyDVD to burn a DVD. I did not even know if it would burn dvds in this format. It did and the final product was great. It was just what I was looking for. I played the DVD on my tv and each frame was very clear, very sharp with no frames skipped.

Anyway, eventhough it may not be the best quality, it is more than good enough for me.

Thanks again,

Ben

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses β€” 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap