Handycam v/s Pro-cam

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

This may have been discussed before, but I’m having a hard time hunting it down. I’ve been shooting videos since May this year, mostly live concerts by bands to sync for music videos.

Some bands say that they only want high-end (Hi-8?) cameras and not MiniDV’s, among those who asked me about the camera I use- it’s Canon MV920. I’d like to know what’s the functional difference between handycams and professional video cameras. Rather, why choose a professional camera over a handycam.

I don’t have a very big budget, so I’d like a recommendation on a video camera that’s not a toy, but isn’t expensive- the transition towards a professional camera. Or is there really any need to upgrade so soon?

Inactive

Arjun_M Wrote:

high-end (Hi-8?) cameras

Hi-8 is not high-end. I mean, it is compared to Video8 or VHS, but it isn’t very.

I’d like to know what’s the functional difference between handycams and professional video cameras. Rather, why choose a professional camera over a handycam.

Handycams ("Shaky Cams") are small, non-weighted, and tend not to offer manual control. Professional cameras tend to be large, weighted, and able to work in full manual or full automatic mode with the flip of a switch (sometimes three). You can hand-hold a large pro camera (shoulder mounted) and get a steadier shot than many shaky cams will give you when on a tripod.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap