Green Screen

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Just a quick question. I’m trying to perfect my green screen technique however, after layering my green screened video on top of a dark background I experience a fuzz in the background video. I suppose fuzz isn’t the appropriate term. It looks like broken lines running parallel all the way through the background clip. This only happens on dark backgrounds. At first I thought it was lighting issues but after verifying total light balance on the screen I’m stumped.

Johnny,

If your compositing software has feather and choke controls, see if you can get the ‘fuzz’ out that way. Also you may need to do multiple color samples of your greenscreen during keying. More often than not there’s at least two or more colors of green present in your background that will need to be sampled to get a clean key.

Inactive

I was trying to use Pinnacle Ultimate 14 for the entire project but because of this issue and the shoot tomorrow I happened upon trying Magix just now. I had no trouble keying out the green and in fact was amazed by the clarity of the background in comparison to that of Pinnacle. I did however run into a couple of problems with that software. Aside from ease of use due to unfamiliarity I didn’t see a choke or feather control. It has threshold and contrast I believe but these controls effected color and transparency far to great. The only chocking that was going on was the drain on my system. I have After Effects but if I can’t figure this out in Pinnacle can I figure it out in Adobe ? That software is so intimidating. Anyways Pinnacle is so simplistic that it doesn’t have choke or feather and since I was able to key in Magix with only minor “green edges” I know the issue isn’t in lighting. Perhaps my software sux and I gotta grow a pair, bite the bullet and dive into After Effects. What do you think ?

Inactive

Composite1…

You were right. After further investigation Pinnacle does have something along the lines of choke and feather. Just on a simpler level. I think it’s called spill suppression. Thank you for the quick response and knowledge. Your an A+ Moderator. Any recommendations on software?

Johnny,

Thanks for the nod, but I’ve slogged through so many WHYISTHIS&**&^!!NOTWORKING! sessions and each time found the problem was 99% operator error. Now things have to be on fire and there must be copious amounts of damaged body parts before I start freaking out.

As for AFX, if you’ve got it dude start working with it. I’ve had a copy since 4.0 and I really didn’t start to understand it until 5.5. Now that I work with CS3 it is soooo much easier than way back when. Once you start getting a feel for it everything else (except for NUKE) seems like a kid’s toy. Don’t mistake that there are some hideously complex things you can do with it, but with all the really good free tutorials and AFX bibles available you can throw down in no time.

All the NLE software I use has some keying capabilities but I just go straight to AFX. Now Ultra isn’t bad if you’re doing some quick and dirty stuff but it’s redundant if you have AFX. Spill suppression should be a help to you. Be advised, if your version is like AFX or Ultra you’ll get a color change in the ‘fuzz’ so you’ll have to keep it subtle.

Participant

AE also comes packaged with a $500 plugin called Keylight….works like a charm. I’ve been able to key footage that was impossible with other plugs….

…give it a try, you’re gonna like the way you look, I gaurantee it. ; )

Inactive

http://www.videocopilot.net has helped me a lot in getting started with Adobe After Affects. His tutorials are very helpful.

The only problem I have had with Adobe After Affects is that I spend way too much time now trying to figure out how to do new things. Plus, there are a lot of really cool plug-ins out there that are very tempting….

Participant

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap