Great deal from Adobe

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My boss just filled me in on a sweet deal from Adobe.

Adobe Creative Cloud allows you to download every piece of Adobe software for flat rate of $50/month. Much cheaper than the $2600 you would pay for the Master Collection, yet you still have access to everything included in the Master Collection.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Participant

For some reason I’m not comfortable with the cloud. Tech issues, dependability, real or not, I’m just not comfortable with it yet. I’ve always been one of those guys that had the editing machine “Offline” all the time except for hooking up for updates.

I’m sure I’ll have to conform someday but for now I’m keeping my head out of the clouds. (pun intended)

Participant

According to that link:

“It’s the digital hub that lets you download and install any of the new Adobe Creative Suite 6 desktop apps you want, plus Adobe Muse and Adobe Edge preview software.”

It must mean that what I download and install is just a thin client pointing to the cloud version of the software. Otherwise, for $75 I could get the single month option, download and install the full suite and then continue to use it (since I installed it locally) without paying for more than the first month. Still, with lots of kids here HS & college) the $30/mo option looks kinda useful (step-daughter wants Photoshop, PP and AE anyway, plus I wouldn’t mind playing with Audition).

Inactive

Guys I am a Cloud subscriber and it isn’t what you think. You download whatever programs you want from the Master Collection to your local machine, full versions just as they come on a disc, The Cloud part is more for storing and sharing your work with others and accessing the online Adobe community. It also gives you the ability to work on the same files from different places, like say you upload a project to the cloud while you are at work you can then make some edits when you are at home or from a tablet while you are out and about. You don’t have to be online to use the software once it has been downloaded and installed on your computer.

Participant

Hey Dave –

So just to be clear, are you saying I can sign up for the one month cloud account for $75 and then download and install locally the entire CS6 suite and use it forever regardless of keeping an active cloud account?

If that’s the case, why would anyone pay more for anything from Adobe?

Ugh. Does anyone notice that this is just another bill? So yeah, $600 buck a year (not including any fees for upgrades and what not) Then there will no doubt be a fee for those fun calls to India and Pakistan for what they laughingly call tech support. Also, all your projects are on their servers? So now if for whatever reason if your credit card goes down (like say because some company like Adobe allowed their dbase to get hacked) your projects get held for ransom.

Just another way the software companies are pushing so that we the consumers continuously pay but don’t actually own anything. Well, purchasing software and using it locally is going the way of the ‘nickel ferry’ anyway. Time will come all too soon when we don’t own anything, including the content we create….

Participant

“You download whatever programs you want from the Master Collection to your local machine, full versions just as they come on a disc…. You don’t have to be online to use the software once it has been downloaded and installed on your computer.”

Yea, that was my understanding. I’m not sure why some thought you had to be online to use the software.

“Also, all your projects are on their servers?”

Hmm…I can’t say for sure. I haven’t signed up for Creative Cloud yet. I’m assuming if you’re downloading the software and it lives locally on your computer, then your projects live locally as well.

I’m under the impression that the software is exactly the same, expect it’s acquired differently and cheaper. So I’m kind of surprised about all the skepticism.

Participant

Hi Rob –

My skepticism comes from getting the full CS6 Suite Master Edition + Acrobat Pro X all for a total cash outlay of $75 (one month option) – I just don’t think that could be possible (if it sounds too good to be true…)

Participant

Yea, I think I know what you mean. I just can’t seem to find a catch on their website. Maybe since people are turning away from Apple, Avid is still pretty expensive, and Adobe dominates with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, web Apps and others, they have the cash to back such a good offer. Ya know what I mean? Or maybe I’m just naive considering my lack of life experience πŸ˜›

Participant

I’m sure they have a way to kill the software in 30 days. I’ve been involved in the beta development of Adobe Edge and after a new version comes out the old one dies.

My dislike for the cloud is it doesn’t make much sense for me. Why store my project on a server somewhere in the middle east rather than on a firewire 800 external. If I want to take the project with me, I just take the external. Since going to cameras that don’t use tape, I’m always packing externals anyway for archiving.

I’m sure for people that have to network with others its functional, especially if they are working with someone miles away. I have days in my area that storms knock out the internet for the whole day, sometimes two. Sometimes I’m working with 6-8 hours of HD footage, I can’t imagine the upload and download times to use it on the cloud. If the cloud just stores the project file then those source files still need to be on the physical computer and you’d have to take a external with you anyway. I can’t see how it would not slow down workflow for me and should I loose my internet as it is now, I’m still working.

Inactive

It looks like quite a few people here are a little misinformed. I have a cloud subscription and here is what it is all about. Let me start by assuring you that I have absolutely no affiliation to Adobe other than being a user of their software.

You pay your subscription fee for whatever your chosen time period is. I’m fairly sure that once your subscription expires the license reverts to something akin to a trial version where you have 30 days to renew or the programs cease to function. So you cant pay just one months fees and keep the fully licensed software.

The only projects you have on their servers are the ones you put there. You still create your work on your local machine and then upload to the cloud if you choose to. Yes you can edit a file that is on the cloud but you need to download it to your laptop or tablet or borrowed PC, where ever you are at the time. You wouldn’t do it from your workstation as you would have the original there to edit anyway. The purpose of the cloud is so you can share your work with colleagues or clients etc and also for a bit of online backup storage but you would be mad not to keep your originals on your local machine or your own storage drive. Some people seem to think their files will only exist on the cloud and that they will be working directly to the files on the cloud, no you still work exactly as you do now.

The subscription payment method has given people, who can’t afford the up front cost of the software purchase, the chance to still use the software. The whole idea of it is to try to reduce the need to pirate their software. Before the subscription system people who were not making a living from their art, hobbyists and the like, had to use a pirate copy of the programs because they were just too expensive to buy a legit copy. now those people can afford to use the software without having to break any laws. Is it a way for Adobe to make more money, of course it is but it also greatly benefits the consumer as well.

If you don’t like the whole subscription thing then you can still purchase the product the same way we have for the past twenty plus years, on a disc for a one off price.

Inactive

Also, there is a pretty good community based support forum, much like this one, so you would only speak to a foreign call center as a last resort.

And also the upgrade fee for subscription users is minimal, cost me $30 to upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6

Inactive

Also, should have mentioned there are apps and features that are on the cloud that you don’t get on the disc.

Participant

Not arguing with you Dave but I don’t really think those that use the pirated software are even willing to spend 50 bucks a month. Besides, how would this effect third party plug-ins like Red Giant and Twixtor? It might actually increase pirating of those as they would now be more disposable. People wouldn’t be as willing to pay 3-400 for a plug-in for software they don’t own. Sad but that’s the way the world is.

I do have one question for you, how long is it taking you to upload and download HD footage to and from the cloud?

Inactive

WS, I disagree. I am stills photographer and I know a lot of amateur photogs who used to have pirate copies of Photoshop simply because they could not afford the up front cost but now are able to use a licensed copy for an affordable monthly fee.

If you buy a disc, lets say CS5.5, in two years time you will still be running the same version so assuming you opt not to upgrade your subscription version the cost reduces greatly after the first year and after the full contract period of 24 months you do own the license for that version. It works much the same as a cell phone contract in that after two years you own a two year old phone, well after two years you own software that has been superseded three or four times by then. If you choose to subscribe on a month by month basis then you will continue to pay but you can upgrade for a pretty small fee, so your software is always current. Most people I know have chosen the two year contract option so for them the plug in issue doesn’t really come into play.

It really depends on the needs of the individual as to which way is better contract, month by month or paying up front.

Adobe has had an ongoing issue with piracy for many years and they finally worked it out that non professionals and sole operators just couldn’t afford their software so they came up with this scheme as a way to reduce the need for sole operators or hobbyists to pirate the programs. At the end of two years you will have paid more than if you purchased the disc but the cost is spread out which is a compromise that most people can afford to live with.

“Adobe has had an ongoing issue with piracy for many years and they finally worked it out that non professionals and sole operators just couldn’t afford their software so they came up with this scheme as a way to reduce the need for sole operators or hobbyists to pirate the programs. At the end of two years you will have paid more than if you purchased the disc but the cost is spread out which is a compromise that most people can afford to live with.”

Bingo. There’s your hook Rob. Like I said, you pay and pay. If they wanted to make the software ‘more affordable’, why not just make it more affordable? Instead of being control freaks trying to keep pirating down (which you won’t do because the pirates no doubt have already figured out how to beat the system), just make the software cheaper. Used to be for the same money, in the bundled packages you got the discs, shortcut cheat cards, full printed manuals all for the same money you pay now where you don’t get squat. Sorry, but pdf manuals suck and ‘Ask Lynda’ is more crap I have to continuously pay for.

No my friend Adobe is going for the ‘Drug Dealer Sales Model’. Give the customer a little taste (30 day trial) and then make them pay ad nauseum. It’s a great idea for them primarily. But really, in this economy how many people are going to have the resources to do all of that ‘collaborating’ you mentioned? Tablets capable of pushing what’s necessary cost money. The wireless service needed to do so costs money. How many tablets will be useable for these collaborative acts? Are you going to be forced to purchase only one kind (cough-Apple)? How much will the app cost and on and on.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the possibilities. What I don’t like is the supposed ‘friendly back rub’ before they stick it to consumers. My main concern is how long will it be before they force everyone into the cloud like it or not?

Participant

“At the end of two years you will have paid more than if you purchased the disc”

Master Collection is $2600. Creative Cloud is $50/month. It would take 52 months (4 years and 4 months) to meet that same cost; not two years. And who doesn’t upgrade more frequently than every 4+ years? Unless I’m missing something, this seems more cost effective…if you want to always have the latest version.

Inactive

Composite1, trial versions of software have been around for at least twenty years that I know of. It is the industry standard sales method. No-one wants to buy software unless they are sure that it fulfills all of their needs. Go into any car yard in the world and they will let you test drive their cars before you buy them. At least Adobe give you a full version trial, a lot of other companies embed a watermark in their trial software so you cant really try it out in a professional situation to produce a finished product.

The cost is only ongoing ad nauseum if you opt to pay on a month by month basis. Most people cant afford to pay upfront that is why they choose the subscription method, the same as most people could not afford to pay cash for a house so they take out a mortgage even though they will pay far more for their house in the long term. The two year contract option basically means you are paying for the software on a finance plan. It boils down to what you can afford to pay right now.

From a business stand point it would make no sense for them to reduce the cost of their product, they are in business for the same reason as the rest of us, to make money. Don’t forget it’s not like it was back at version 1 of photoshop, two guys in a basement. There are hundreds and hundreds of people involved in the production of this software and I guarantee they are all putting their hand out on payday. Besides if I was selling a product which is considered to be the best in the industry I wouldn’t be giving it away either.

Will everyone be forced to purchase the software via the cloud? I would imagine so, eventually. Will that be restricted to subscription only? I doubt it. Having the software available via download only is a method many companies already employ. It does away with the cost of producing discs. But they will never do away with outright purchases as it puts money into the company coffers now, not over a period of time.

If it all seems like too much money and too many hassles then the answer is simple, use someone else’s software. Adobe isn’t the only company in the business.

Participant

I’ve been an adobe guy for a long time. It doesn’t cost me 2600 for a master set as I upgrade, so for just about the cost of a years subscription I can upgrade to CS6 all together. So cost for CS6 isn’t much different to me either way. I wouldn’t use the cloud. Its not functional for me as I don’t network projects with others.

Two years ago I upgraded to CS5 and here two years later we are already two versions ahead. My third party plug-ins are having difficulty keeping up. Sure the jump to 64bit was a big part in the beginning but they are still lagging.

I would have to disagree that the business model for subscriptions has anything to do with piracy. I believe its closer to Composite 1’s thoughts. I’m not saying its a bad thing, its smart for Adobe to maximize cross over customers at this time. People are jumping ship and Adobe is making it affordable in the short term for them to do that and come to Adobe. Adobe is just switching gears and going for volume of customers, a smart move at this time and I bet they wish they had this in play when FCPX came out. We are living in a “Pay check to Pay check” economy. This is a way to sell in that environment.

IMHO, this will get Adobe software in the hands of people that would normally buy Pinnacle, Power Director and lower end software of the like. That is a much larger market than the “Pro” that bought and upgrade along the way like I do. This is just Adobe reaching in to the lower end cookie jar and they will likely take a butt load of market share by doing so. But the piracy thing, from my experience, people that do that do that regardless. Its a character flaw.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

It’s worth noting that if you are a Creative Cloud subscriber, you never pay for upgrades again. That is, when CS 7 comes out you get it as long as you keep paying the $50 every month.

It’s also worth noting that the $50 is contract based, like your cell phone. Go month-to-month and I believe it’s $75.

Dave,

True, trial versions have been around for some time. Thing is, when you bought the software you didn’t have to keep paying for it. Hey if you’re cool with this, by all means roll with it. I use adobe’s stuff heavily, but I’d rather pay for it once and keep rolling. Also, I don’t get on the upgrade merry-go-round. Too expensive. Once I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of a set software and have new requirements that a later version can meet, then I upgrade. I’ve got more than enough monthly expenses for my biz than to add another no matter how inexpensive it appears to be.

You said that it makes no sense for them to reduce the cost of their product, but show all evidence that’s what they did. You give up having some semblance of owning the product and they reduce the cost. You want to keep your sense of ownership by having the packaged goods and you pay more up front. And they wouldn’t be ‘giving it away’. All they’ve done is apparently maximized their profits by eliminating processing, packaging and shipping charges. They haven’t actually lowered their profit margin at all.

Participant

The funny thing is is that if you 5.5 and want version 6 it is only $600 to upgrade, why would I pay double for the cloud version? I am in Composites corner with this one.

Participant

That’s where I’m at Charles. Pay about the same as a one year subscription and run free till the next upgrade. Having to pay a subscription with the cloud still costs more if its a two year run.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

“The funny thing is is that if you 5.5 and want version 6 it is only $600 to upgrade…”

That’s a much better investment than paying for yet another monthly fee. IMHO is better to make the fullinvestment in any Creative Suite and later on upgrade when needed.

It’s also worth noting that the $50 is contract based, like your cell phone.

I visit Adobe website and they are having a special offer now for $29.99 + taxes, but with a one year contract. If you decide to cancel here are the cancellationbilling terms for annual membership:

Wed hate to see you go, but if you cancel within the first 30 days, well give you a full refund. Otherwise, youll be billed 50% of your remaining contract obligation. If you ever need to cancel, just call Customer Support.

If you decide to cancel you will still be paying aconsiderableamount.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio editing software for video editors β€” 2021

Let's look at the best audio editing software currently on the market, then go over the most important features to consider as you shop.
homicide-bootstrap