Graphics card compatibility with CS4 and CS5

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Graphics card compatibility with CS4 and CS5

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all,

I have a Sony Vaio i7 Laptop with Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7, and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M graphics card. I’ve just got a couple of questions that I thought maybe someone could answer?

I’m shortly going to be editing AVCHD footage and I’m trying to establish if it would be better for me to use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 to do this, or go with CS5. I’ve been reading up on the compatibility of my graphics card with CS5 and it appears that it is not on Adobe’s certified compatible graphics card list. What I want to know is this – does this mean CS5 will not work on my machine? Or will I have problems with playback/editing? And how is the performance likely to differ from CS4? I could really use some help with this because I don’t want to invest in software that will not perform.

As a side question, I was just wondering if anyone could help me understand my CPU capabilities. What exactly does Q 740 mean? Does that mean it is Quad Core? And does that mean I have 4 x 1.73 GHz of CPU power, or just one singular 1.73 GHz?

Thanks for your help.

arthouse

Participant

Go with CS5 as CS4 does not render in 64 bit, Trust me, I have an animated project in After Effects that I am rendering that is 10 seconds long and it takes about 5 hours to render. Go with the CS5 so you can use the most resourses your machine can use.

Participant

The Q 740 is a four core. It can reach 2.94GHz when all four cores are active (Turbo Boost)based on Termal Designed Performance (TDP), in other words op-temp has some influence.

Thats not to shabby for a laptop but what I would consider the bottom line for HD and CS5. CS4 was/is really bridging both 32 and 64 bit, under a straight up 64 bit system I would say CS5 is faster and more steadfast as Charles has said. Just because your card is not supported doesn’t mean it will not work, just that it is not optimum.

CS5 is some serious software that will perform very well given the hardware can keep up. I think you could run it well but be advised that attempting long projects you might run into heat problems which would effect hardware and then software.

I use laptops for field use all the time and have spent quite a bit on them. Some may be called “Desk top replacements” but in the end they don’t quite cover it all hardware wise and thatdoes make a difference.

Participant

I note what you say about laptops, in general, and for longer projects. Luckily, at the moment, I’m working on a fairly short project with a view to at some point investing in a desktop machine. I appreciate your comments, both of you, thanks very much. I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered CS5. Thanks for the Q 740 explanation – that’s music to my ears, I was worried for a while that I didn’t have much punch behind the CPU.

Participant

Arthouse, you jumped a little too soon, they are coming out with CS5.5 which includes Adobe Audition for sound editing. I am not saying that Soundbooth is bad, there is just more control with Audition.

Participant

I have Audition 3.0 and would agree it is much more thanSB but I really only need it when someone (Me usually) screwed up.I think the Warp Stab function in AE 5.5 would be the same for me but I’ve already learned other ways to take care of that and learned Mocha that came with AE CS5. So, I’m going to pass on 5.5. Going to CS5 was a major step, real 64 bit and the speed of work flow along with some nice little tools to use but I really can’t see why they are making this apaid upgrade and even without Audition see CS5 as a worthwile step.

I wonder really what they would have to do to make a next step as worth it. Its getting to the point that they are going to have to stick a little man in a box that you pass SDHC cards and occasionally a cheese sandwich through a little slot and just wait for your finished product to show up on a drive. You might have to kick the box a few times to remind him when you want it formatted for the web though. πŸ™‚

Participant

I know Charles, I must admit it was quite irritating to find that the new release (5.5) had just been put on sale, but as a preorder. I needed the software ASAP so I was forced to settle for CS5 otherwise I would have had to wait until mid-May and I can’t wait. What seems a little ridiculous is that they’re selling CS5 and CS5.5 at the same price – I feel like I should be able to get the upgrade for free now that I’ve bought CS5 around the time of a new release. Alas, it’s not gonna happen. Also, just to make a point here – I find the Adobe website really frustrating to navigate around because of the all the regions/country-specific variations and the different types of package you can order. Maybe it’s because I live in the UK, I don’t know, but they really should sort that out.

“I feel like I should be able to get the upgrade for free now that I’ve
      bought CS5 around the time of a new release. Alas, it’s not gonna
      happen.”

HA! You called that one right Arthouse! Free, upgrade, from Adobe? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I like and use their products, but have no illusions about them doing anything right by their loyal, paying customers.

Participant

Arthouse, there is nothing wrong with CS5, I use it at work all day long. It would be very nice if Adobe would have a free upgrade to the 5.5 but that is not how things work. I can’t believe they have upgraded so quickly, it usually takes them about 18 – 24 months to upgrade. At home I use CS4 and the improvements in CS5 are tremendous. I will be upgrading to the CS5.5 when it comes out, I hope it will be worth it.

Participant

I Find it interesting that they have gone from CS5 to CS5.5, why not go straight to CS6??

They have explained that they will do a new release, then a point upgrade, then a new release, etc. CS6 will come out next year, they say.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap