Got a canon GL2 =D

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey guys im new here and this place looks like its awesome.. I’v been into photography for a about a year now and just moved up to videographing πŸ˜€
      and just got a Canon GL2 looks sweet so far but im wondering something.
      Is the LCD on the GL2 supposed to be a little fuzzy and if so does the video look a lot better when i transfer it to the computer???

Thanks a lot.
      Tim

Inactive

back2level9 Wrote:

Is the LCD on the GL2 supposed to be a little fuzzy and if so does the video look a lot better when i transfer it to the computer???

Welcome aboard!

I have 2 of these cameras and typically this is somewhat normal. In fact pretty much all video cameras are like that. The resolution of the LCD screen is not the same as the resolution you’ll be laying down on tape. Although I have to admit that I have no idea what your definition of fuzzy is. I guess you won’t know until you download to a PC and check it out.

RAM

Inactive

Thanks a lot guys
      I would have checked today but i don’t have film and i won’t untill tomorrow
      so i guess ill wait until tomorrow and give a update =D

Tim

Inactive

Yes, the LCD has partial resolution of the actual video quality but it should still look sharp. Put the camera on a tripod and aim it at something with good lighting and contrast. Now compare the LCD image with the regular viewfinder. If you see a major difference in image quality, have it checked out. Also, you can hook up an external monitor to the camera’s video out and see what the image looks like before it’s recorded to tape. Double check all your cameras set up menus, including the LCD.

Inactive

Actually… I just thought of this too. You should have recieved a composite cable set with your camera (Red-white-yellow RCA plug). You could hook your camera up to a TV (if you have frontside jacks handy) and see what kind of picture you’re getting there too. That would tell you right away if your picture is “Fuzzy” or not.

RAM

Inactive

Hey guys, thanks for the help! I pluged it up to the TV and wow
      looks A LoT better =D

But now im having a problem.. πŸ™ My computer isn’t detecting my
      camera. Only when it is on card mode ( and it only thinks its a
      external hard drive ) and yes i did install everything.. Everything
      seems right.. Has anyone had this problem before??

Inactive

back2level9 Wrote:

My computer isn’t detecting my

You need to provide more info.

What kind of OS are you running?
      What software are you using?
      What kind of capture interface are you using?
      Where there any drivers and are they all loaded?
      What are your PC specs?

Although it kind of sounds by the way you are decribing your problem that you may have had your camera set to still or video. Make sure it’s in VTR mode.

RAM

Inactive

Video-maniac Wrote:

back2level9 Wrote:

My computer isn’t detecting my

You need to provide more info.

What kind of OS are you running?
      What software are you using?
      What kind of capture interface are you using?
      Where there any drivers and are they all loaded?
      What are your PC specs?

Although it kind of sounds by the way you are decribing your problem that you may have had your camera set to still or video. Make sure it’s in VTR mode.

RAM

Aw im sorry here
      I’m runing Windows XP SP1
      I have a HP pavilion
      AMD Athlon 64
      512mb Ram
      with a Nvidia 400 Go 64m

I installed everything on the CD that the canon came with
      and i have tryed to connect it throw USB and S-Video on
      every setting that i can see…

Now i don’t see anything anywhere about VTR mode???
      and the only thing thats close to a capture interface
      is the ZoomBrowser EX softwear but i dout that would
      be the problem sense my computer isnt seeing that theres
      a camera connected anway

Thanks again!!!
      TiM

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

You should be running XP SP2 (not SP1) and you should connect via firewire, not USB or analog cables.

Well i updated to SP2 and im about to go head out and get me a firewire lol
      Thanks a lot!!

Tim

P.S. sorry for stupid questions im just a newbie lol

Inactive

Well i got a firewire cable and i just realized my computer doesn’t have a firewire entry for the 6pin only a 4pin. Seeing how the GL2 only has a 4pin there isn’t a way for me to connect πŸ™

There isn’t a way for me to transfer my video through the S-Video or USB????

Inactive

back2level9 Wrote:

Well i got a firewire cable and i just realized my computer doesn’t have a firewire entry for the 6pin only a 4pin. Seeing how the GL2 only has a 4pin there isn’t a way for me to connect πŸ™

That’s not true! There are different Firewire cable configurations. I have the exact same camera and I have a cable with a 4-pin configuration on both ends. You just need to buy the right cable.

Also… what editing software are you using!

RAM

Inactive

Is it true that the Gl-2 has an issue with the tape loading mechanism, "chewing tapes" and all?

Inactive

svhs Wrote:

Is it true that the Gl-2 has an issue with the tape loading mechanism, "chewing tapes" and all?

You’re scaring me DAWG! 😯

Where did that come from in this thread?

RAM

Inactive

Hey guys!!!
      I got me a 4pin to 4pin firewire cable and WOW i love this camera haha
      And i havnt picked out a editing software yet. Whats the best one?
      And i want to go to school for editing/filming so name me the best i dont care if its hard to use or not πŸ˜€

Inactive

The makers of The Aristocrats apparently used Final Cut on a Mac.

Then there is Adobe Premier or freeware such as Gordian Knot from SourceForge .net.

Inactive

back2level9 Wrote:

And i havnt picked out a editing software yet. Whats the best one?
      And i want to go to school for editing/filming so name me the best i dont care if its hard to use or not πŸ˜€

It all depends on what operating system you’re running. If you are running a MAC, I would go with Final Cut Pro (FCP). But if you are running Windows XP however, you have many options. (IMO) I would lean towards Adobe Premier Pro. I used the term (IMO) because I’m sure there will be others speaking their mind too. PP does offer a ton of flexibility and is very versatile and stable. It probably has the most power unless you’re looking at Avid. I am told however that Avid is the hardest one to learn.

The best path I could offer you is to download the free trial versions out there. Just about all of the NLE apps have free downloadable trials from their websites that you can use for like 30 days or so. Then you can make a final decision.

RAM

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap