Gossen Light Meter

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all,Could someone please tell me if there is anyway I can use a 30 year old Gossen CdS Super Pilot light meter to measure 3 point light?I presently use this meter to measure light for still photos.I am planning on buying a Canon XH-A1.My light meter has ASA adjustments.Is there any way that I could set the meter for ASA100 and set the camcorder audio gain for 100?Then, I could measure the light, and set the iris and shutter speed.If,not,could you recommend a light meter that I could use with the camcorder?Do you guys use light meters?And if you do’nt, how do you measure light for proper exposure of iris and shutter speed?Thank you.,Linda

Participant

try google.

if you can set your cameras shutter speed and aperture, then you’ll have no trouble guessing the effective iso..

I use my meters this way though….

I set my camera up, and take a reading with my meter for whichever light source is my fill or ambient light.

I then use the lightmeter to calculate light ratios for any lights I add to the scene. (key light, rim lights, hair/kicker light etc.). I then use a greycard to set exposure and color on my camera. Iuse this method because I shoot stills and video, on every job, and that’s what works for me.

Can you please let me know the advantages of lightmeter… Thanks for post..!

Participant

In my opinion, there is no reason to use a light meter if you are shooting video. If you have time to use light meter, then you’re most likely in a controlled situation. And if you’re in a controlled situation, you should just connect a calibrated monitor to your camera and judge your image that way.

Even without a light meter you can still record proper exposure. If you’re a little off, you can fix it in post. All your shots should go through some minor color correction anyway if not full on color grading.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2020

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap