good monitors, not so expensive…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m thinking of biting the bullet and getting a Mac Pro, but monitor makes the system even more expensive. Any thoughts on cheaper monitors–advantages of Apple made prododuct over other companies?

Participant

The cheap-o monitors aren’t all that great (although they are still pretty decent looking monitors).

However, a good monitor in the mid-range price from someone like Samsung, ViewSonic, BenQ, and several other brands are just as good (or better, depending on features you want) compared to the Mac monitors. Dell monitors are actually made by the same company that makes Apple monitors (and thus are virtually the same insides with a different case). I personally would take a Dell monitor over an Apple one any day because of the better feature set (tilt, hight adjustment, and USB on some models).

Now, I’m not sure if there is anything keeping you from using a generic monitor on an Apple computer, but I’m pretty sure my friend uses a Viewsonic on his Mac Mini. As far as I know, it’s simply a DVI connection (Or VGA on the older Macs) so it’s compatible with other brands.

Participant

When I bought My MAc Pro, I had the same dilema as you. I wasn’t about to spend that much money for a monitor.

I did alot of research on Every monitor that all of my local Electronics stores carried (I wasn’t going to buy one from the internet in case I didn’t end up liking it).

I finally decided on the Samsung SyncMaster 226BW.
      It is a 22 in Widescreen monitor.

W=18.75" X H=11.75"
      Contrast ratio =3000:1
      Resolution =1680*1050
      Response Time (in Miliseconds) =2
      Digital & analog video input (Even came with DVI cable)

I spent around $300 for it at Comp USA.

Hope this helps

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap