Good capture device for newbie??

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been doing searches and reading all that I can but haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for. I have a lot of snow ski footage on my Sony digital 8 (Hi 8) camcorder. I need to capture and edit for basic home movies. Nothing professional but good. I plan on trying several of the free editing programs available but I need to capture the video first. Should I get Pinnacle Studio Moviebox, Pinnacle Studio AV/DV Deluxe or what? Can I use any editing software with these capture devices?

Thanks in advance for cluing me in.

Beau

Participant

You can try adobe premier pro 1.5 it handles captures on numerous type of camera, I am using it with my Digital 8 Sony cam. I thing adobe has a free demo version on their site. http://www.adobe.com

Give it a try.

Participant

Does your camcorder have a 1394 (Firewire) output? If it does, you may be in luck. You can get a $30 PCI Firewire card that will plug into the system board of your PC and will probably come with a cable to hook it to your camcorder. If not, cables are not expensive.

If you’re using Windows XP, either home or pro, you have — or can download for free — Windows MovieMaker 2, a rudimentary video editing program that has a surprising amount of capability. It will allow you to capture video, edit footage, etc.

If you don’t have a Firewire interface but only composite video or S-video outs, capturing analog video becomes a little more expensive. You can check the prices of the ADS Pyro capture card…or there are cards made by Matrox, Canopus, Pinnacle, etc. One caveat: some may be usable only with the manufacturer’s editing software.

Participant

I don’t have firewire output that’s why I’m more concerned with how to get footage from my camcorder to the PC. I have RCA and S video out from the camcorder, I need to get it to the PC. Once on the PC I can use various free trial software programs. So what is my best option to get
      Digital 8 footage to my PC?

Thanks

Participant

Look at the capture cards and breakout boxes from ADS, Canopus, Matrox, Pinnacle, etc.

This link is a good place to start.

Inactive

I recommend you the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV platform. It’s what I use. Good quality, stability and an integrated solution both for analog and digital.

Participant

How does the Pinnacle AV/DV plug into the PC? Is it USB or what?

Thanks
      Beau

Participant

The Pinnacle AV DV is a PCI card, which means it plugs directly into the computer’s motherboard.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap