Good camcorder for action sports

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello all. I have my own website which features video of Motocross and dirtbiking. Currently I have been using a Sony TRV-460 digital 8 camcorder. I want to upgrade to a higher quality camcorder but would like your opinions on which would be a suitable camera for fast moving action and sometimes quick pans. I had considered going HD, but it would be overkill I believe. I am partial to Sony products as I’ve always have been pleased with my products from them, but I will consider other brands. input please. thank you.

Inactive

Well, a lot of folks here feel fondly about Sony’s VX-2100. It’s not to spendy (as opposed to a $20,000 studio camera), and has great picture.

What’s your price range? What do you ned in a picture? I’m assuming you want something that can catch fast-motion events, being sports and all.

Inactive

Thanks, I hadn’t looked too much at the VX-2100. I haven’t researched different models yet so I’m somewhat ignorant of the specific features as of writing this, but I do know what I don’t like about the TRV-460.
      1: Manual focus along with other important manual functions are accomplished via the touch screen (not good)
      2: Non optical image stabilization destroys pans (jerky jittery and heavily pixelated)
      3: No external mic jack.
      4: Tripod shoe needs to be removed to change tapes.
      those are the four main frustrations I have and would like to upgrade.

My budget will be $2000-$2500 so I don’t really expect nor do I need a professional grade camera for that price range, but I would like to maximize bang for the buck.

Inactive

It sounds like the VX2100 is probably the camera for you. On top of that, it’s in your price range.

If you want to try it, the Canon GL-2 is a little cheaper, but it’s not as good in low light. Personally, if all your filming is going to be outside or well lit, the GL-2 would be the way to go.

Either way, just be sure you buy from a reputable dealer, such as B&H. A lot of folks out ther will try to cheat you by stripping the camera’s components and offering a better price.

BrianBrian
      Participant

Whatever camcorder you choose make sure it has a slow shutter option.
      Slow shutter speeds are important when shooting sports action.

Inactive

😯 Hank,

"SHOW" must have meant fast shutter speed. If you filmed a football game using a slow shutter, it would be so blurry that your eyes would start waterering.

RAM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap