Glidecam Glidecam 2000 PRO Camcorder Stabilizing System

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Glidecam Glidecam 2000 PRO Camcorder Stabilizing System

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Newbies?

Heck, I’ve lost track of how many wedding videos I’ve done, and I might buy a copy of this tape! Sounds like a great idea Hank.

As far as the stabilizers go, I’d love to have one, along with all the braces to make it useful. We try to have one camera mobile at our weddings, because somethimes there are shots you just can’t get with stationary cameras. My wife has an exceptionally steady hand, but even so, you can still see the image bounce around every now and again. What I really wish we had was a way to demo the product before we comitted to spending $1400 on it though.

Participant

Any of you guys have one of these? Is it worth it ($300 at B&H)? What about the other stuff (Bod-Pod and Forearm Brace)? And why is a battery a recommended accessory — does it run on batteries πŸ˜•

Forgive the incessant questions — it looks great if it works at $300 bucks.

As always, thanks πŸ˜‰

Beth

Participant

Have you heard much about the Steadicam? Since I posted, I been reading and apparently the Glidecams are practically impossible to use after a few minutes because they are so heavy, regardless of arms and body braces. 😑

But thanks for the info about the VX2100’s total weight (having one myself). I guess one would need the 4000 if you go the Glidecam route, and I was totally thinking the 2000 would be fine given the VX2100’s weight (minus the things you mentioned). Gosh, this stuff is getting expensive. Maybe I should just start off with a Bogen monopod. Got one of those for sale? X-D

Anyone have any experience with any of this stuff to get the really cool shots?

Inactive

Beth,

I just so happen to have one of the Glidecam 2000 units. The reason I got it was because I wanted a more fluid smoother motion when walking with the camera. Unfortunately, this thing has its good points and its bad points.

The good point is that it does really work. When you have your camera attached and balanced correctly, you can walk while filming and when viewing the end results, you cannot tell that Im walking. You can even go up stairs and you will not see any bouncing. It’s kind of cool! It looks like the camera is almost flying or floating on air.

Unfortunately, there are more bad points than good points Im afraid. The first one is that the way they make you attach your camera is ridiculous. You have to take the top plates apart, bolt the camera to the very top plate and then attach it back to the other plate and tighten it back down. They should have devised a better quick release system like tripods have. Then you have to balance it. That part is very tricky and could take you 5 to 10 minutes and thats if youre good at it. Once you get it balanced you are pretty much set to go. Now the problem is holding it. Its not that bad if you are only using it for 5 or 10 minutes. If you are planning on holding it for like a wedding forget it! I used it last year for some projects and my arm was actually sore after the first 10 minutes. Then I found myself straining to the point that my arm was shaking. I had seen that there was a forearm support brace available so I bought that. That made a HUGE difference. I did a weightlifting competition last winter which lasted about 5 hours and I made it through without any problems. If you get one get the brace right away too. BTW: I use it with a GL2 which is similar in size and weight to the VX2000.

In conclusion, it does do a great job of what its supposed to do BUT getting to that point is kind of retarded. I even emailed the company and told them that I was real happy with the results and the concept was well thought out but why didnt you finish the design? It was like they made it that far and then stopped!

As far as the body appliances go, I wouldnt use equipment of that nature that much so it would be hard for me to justify spending that kind of money.
      Oh yeah… if you think you can just take your camera and mount it real quick to the Glidecam unit during a wedding ceremony, forget it. The ceremony will be over before you have it all hooked up and ready to go. You almost need a dedicated camera just for that unit. I do use it for before and after b-roll shots though. It works nice around flowers, alters, crawling up brides and grooms and so forth.

RAM

Participant

I have the full Varizoom kit and I love it. I had a weight problem like Compusolver but they make a $20 kit to make the flowpod use a camera up to 9 pounds. So dont give up on it Compusolver just search for the XL-1 kit on varizooms site it adds weights to the flowpod to make it work with larger cameras (not necisarily the xl-1). Also bogen makes a quick release plate for about 50 bucks that you can put on any of these stabilizers so that you dont have to rebalance everytime(as much anyway). But is it worth it yes although personally after using the body brace that came with my kit (and the steadicam that my school had) I would have to say I wouldent use it without the body brace. Which would bring the cost up to at least 1400 bucks. Depending on which one you went with. I am sore after using it with the brace. I could imagine putting all that weight on my fore arm. With the vest I love it. I use it at work and in my own films and it is invaluable as a production tool. Its hard (but not impossible) to get these kind of shots without it.

Participant

[quote]We’re producing a video course for aspiring wedding videographers, but it will be at least a few more months before we’re into post.
      [/quote]

Hank, just forget the weddings and all your money and get that instructional video out 8) We newbiew need some help! And I’m sure you’ll be providing them to your friends at VM online at a considerable discount 😯

Beth

PS — Darn it if I can’t get the quote thing to work πŸ˜•

Participant

This thing is a project and a half.. bought it about a year ago.. still have
      not been able to get it to work.. I just gave up ..things should not be so difficult….anyone have money? so I can buy one of those. vests.. $ 3,500..
      you can send the money to me via PAY Pal.

Participant

I have a Glidecam 2000 and it works great for the GL2. No weight problems at all. I agree about the connection type and all but there are remedies. You can get a quick release mount and attach it to the Glidecam plate to swith from GC to tripod. Or you can do what I do which works well; for weddings, I use a camera on a tripod and the other on the Glidecam for the entire ceremony (took some strength training on my part though). I use that for creative, motion shots and when I need a stable shot, I have a tripod set at a low level and rest the Glidecam on top of it. Works like a charm and I get some really cool shots that you just cant get with tripods only.

Inactive

Hey, if one of you guys who’s not happy with your glidecam want to box it up and ship it to me, PM me a price. I’d be interested in having one. While the VX-2100 might be a little too heavy for it, I’ve got a couple GL-2’s I could probably use it with, and I think I even have an old GL-1 laying around here somewhere. That’s a REALLY small camera, and I doubt the glidecam would have any issue with it.

Participant

hmmm…if you have a GL1 just laying around, how about a trade for the Glidecam? πŸ˜€

Inactive

I still play with the GL-1, no worries. Anymore, she’s my backup, should another camera need a day off. She’s also the only camera I let out of my sight for more than 30 seconds if I have to send a camera out someplace where I’m not. πŸ™‚

The GL-1, despite lacking a few features I love, is still a fantastic camera, and I couldn’t trade it. πŸ˜›

Participant

I don’t blame you. I was mostly joking (mostly). Get a glidecam though and learn to use it. It would be the best investment you could make at this point. πŸ˜‰

Participant

ScriptGirl Wrote:

Any of you guys have one of these? Is it worth it ($300 at B&H)? What about the other stuff (Bod-Pod and Forearm Brace)? And why is a battery a recommended accessory — does it run on batteries πŸ˜•

Forgive the incessant questions — it looks great if it works at $300 bucks.

As always, thanks πŸ˜‰

Beth

Beth,

Here’s info on our training DVDs:
      http://DVideography.com/pro

Dave

Participant

The Glidecam 2000 Pro was the best investment I have made! Check out what it can do on my demo page on my website.
      One thing that works for me is to overweight the bottom. My setup is less than a minute whenver I shoot.

Participant

DAVIDPERRYFILMScom Wrote:

The Glidecam 2000 Pro was the best investment I have made! Check out what it can do on my demo page on my website.
      One thing that works for me is to overweight the bottom. My setup is less than a minute whenver I shoot.

I just love your stuff… πŸ˜€

You inspire me.

Participant

The reason overweighting the bottom isn’t recommended is because it can swing when you switch direction (or start or stop movement). Balancing the bottom to top ratio as much as possible will prevent that and give you more control over the tilt in your shot. Just my $.02

Inactive

Hank,

There’s a demo of that thing at the pro video shop in Minneapolis. It looks every bit as difficult to mount the camera to it as anything else out there.

Personally, I just use a good old fashioned monopod for this sort of stuff. My Manfrotto 558B weighs enough that it stabilizes shots quite a bit when I hold it off the ground, and it cost a fraction of the price of one of these stabilizers.

And if that’s not enough, it came with the same quick-release plate that was on my 503 heads, so I can swap cameras in a few seconds without swapping tripod mounting plates!

Participant

On a Roll Wrote:

Hank,

There’s a demo of that thing at the pro video shop in Minneapolis. It looks every bit as difficult to mount the camera to it as anything else out there.

Personally, I just use a good old fashioned monopod for this sort of stuff. My Manfrotto 558B weighs enough that it stabilizes shots quite a bit when I hold it off the ground, and it cost a fraction of the price of one of these stabilizers.

And if that’s not enough, it came with the same quick-release plate that was on my 503 heads, so I can swap cameras in a few seconds without swapping tripod mounting plates!

Cool…. I guess I made a good choice. I’m not copying really, but I should be getting my 558B tomorrow. B&H had a bunch of mono pods and I just picked the one with the same mount as my 503 quickdisconnect.

My new camera is allot heavier than my old one, and you can really tell in my last video event. I had to trash a ton of stuff, because I just couldn’t hold that darn thing steady. I didn’t even think that the monopod could be used as a steadycam.

I actually have one of them, but not the harness. I couldn’t imagine holding that thing with my PD170 screwed on the top. Maybe in a year or so, I can afford a harness, sure would like to be able to fly again. πŸ˜€

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter β€” 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap