GL2 in the cold

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Has anyone had any experience using the GL2 in the cold? I film skiing during the winter and my GL2 has been acting funny lately. It used to be fine no matter how cold it got. But now, it has been acting like the heads are dirty or not recording at all. I get no warning for either of these occurrences. The camera appears to be operating correctly and then I go to watch the tape later and there are sometimes lines across the screen or no footage at all. When I notice the problem during use, I can warm the camera up for a little while and it goes back to working normally. The problem seems to happen when it is windy but not really all that cold(around 20 F). This does not happen all the time, but it is becoming a real hassle when it does happen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Inactive

I’ve never had a problem with the cold but maybe you got some moisture in there? That would cause the lines or lack of footage.

Inactive

When I bought my GL2, I read some reviews. These reviews had this problem in it, but not that often. If it was still under warranty, I would consider calling Canon. Otherwise, get a head cleaner and maybe that will do the trick. Another tip would be to use the same type of tape. It would slow down the crud build-up on your heads.

Participant

I have been using the GL2 for about 2 years. I have experienced the head needs to be clean message a few times. This was usually due to doing some shoots outside in a dusty area. When this happens I just take out my head cleaner and let it play for the recommended 10-15 sec and the head is clean, no more problem. I have experience a humidity issue however. The process I followis if I am I come from air conditioning to outside. I leave my camera in the case or bag until it matches the outside temp (30 min). then I will take it out. Going from one climate to another quickly will usually result in condensation inside the camera and it doesn’t like it. This is true for all electronics.

Participant

You’ll have no worries shoooting in cold weather just mind the condensation when bringing it back in. I have found wrapping it up in a blanky and just allowing it to grow to room temp through that works better than anything else.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2020

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap