GL2 Frame Mode

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

What’s the deal with frame mode in the GL2. Is it progressive or interlace? Is this an attempt to look like 24p? What are the best capture settings. They don’t tell you much in the manual.

TrackerTracker
    Participant

robgrauert,

Wish I could help but I am new at this, but my interest is that I will possibly be buying a GL2 in the near future and wonder about the 24fps, it the GL2 has the option, and if it helps in transfering super8/8mm movies to video?

tracker

Participant

Hey Tracker,

I’ve has my GL2 for about 3 years now. I’ve used the Frame Mode feature in the past but never on a consistent basis because I don’t know exactly what it is. I’ve heard that it’s not 24fps, but thats about it. I’ve never gotten a good answer about what it is exactly.

I’ve never used super8 or 8mm. I’m too young to have ever been around that stuff. So I have no idea how well it would transfer tothe GL2. Can’t you bring the Super8 and 8mm movies into a computer and export to a miniDV deck or camera?

-Rob G.

Participant

I believe it is 30 fps. What it does, I am not exactly sure. If I am shooting action sports, will it allow me to get better slow motion? How well does it blend with regular interlaced footage from the GL2?

TrackerTracker
    Participant

Hey Tracker, I’ve has my GL2 for about 3 years now. I’ve used the Frame Mode feature in the past but never on a consistent basis because I don’t know exactly what it is. I’ve heard that it’s not 24fps, but thats about it. I’ve never gotten a good answer about what it is exactly. I’ve never used super8 or 8mm. I’m too young to have ever been around that stuff. So I have no idea how well it would transfer tothe GL2. Can’t you bring the Super8 and 8mm movies into a computer and export to a miniDV deck or camera? -Rob G.

Participant

From what I have been able to figure out from reading about the GL2 (waiting for mine to arrive) is that the Movie Frame mode is 30 fps progressive. Not 24 fps progressive, but 30fps. This should produce a very smooth and high quality picture on HDTV, even with relatively fast moving subjects.

From what I can see, unless you are going to be transferring to film, the 30fps is going to be better anyway. I have never liked the look of 24fps on video because of the issues with 3:2 pulldown. While saturation should be (technically) better at 24fps, I really don’t know that you would be able to tell the difference.

Anyway, hope this helps clear this up.

Best regards,

Scott

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap