GL-2 or JVC GY-DV500U?

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Best choice for SD Indies, dollar for dollar? Others that may be better?

Thanks!

I have respect overall for the JVC brand of video tools, but have only had extensive personal experience with the GL2. It is a fine camera with great function and control and excellent glass (the lens) to compliment the mix. You CAN do a wide screen with it if you wish but that hasn’t been mandatory for my line of production work.

Were I not convinced that I do need to move forward into HD tools, and if an opportunity came up to purchase a couple more GL2 units for a good price and in good condition I’d do it in a heartbeat. Even if I read pretty decent stuff about the JVC model I’d likely prefer the GL2 simply due to familiarity and experience-based confidence.

I do believe that Canon glass is superior in each price category to something similar in any other brand. Many would agree on that, if nothing more.

Inactive

I agree with Earl. the GL2 is an excellent cam for standard def recording. And also the fact that other brands (I believe JVC is one) ship from the factory with Canon lenses is also a good recommendation. If you learn the controls you have some good customization over the picture as well. Not quite as much control as the XL2, but still you have good control. When you say indies, are you meaning documentary or movies? For indie movie making, the XL2 is still a very strong contender even though HD is taking over. My experience with Canon cams has been very positive.

Participant

Does anyone out in cyberspace know how to override auto zoom on GL2 to use focus ring behind lens? I’ve had my GL2 for quite a few years and having a fulltime job outside video in the past, have not been trying to customize it until now. I’m trying to get the feel of a movie that has selective focusing. for instance, focus is on foreground and background blurred or any other shallow depth of field situation. I don’t have manual to it so amy need to go find it in PDF. Just thought someone might know. I have a second question too. I’m moving up to HD, my pixel dimensions now are 720X480. Is there anyway to make a DVD from this dimension without it having poor quality? I work in Premiere but have imovie on board my MAC. thanks! Lottie

Participant

Any other units in that modest price range comparable to the GL-2 that I ought to consider? Mind you, I really like my GL-2. But I’m also open minded.

Evan

Participant

Any ideas on finding refurbished Canon camcorder AH A1? Trying to stay in 2,500 range. thanks again. Lottie

Holding the GL2 as if you were shooting, the button on the top edge of the left-hand side closest to the lens ring is your auto/manual button. Push once for manual, push again to go to automatic.

But to my knowledge there isn’t an override to convert from the zoom toggle to the focus ring. That’s not to say it doesn’t exist, but I’ve not needed that feature badly enough in several years of owning and using the GL2 to bother checking to confirm.

To acquire whatever depth of field I can utilize I’ve always worked with the iris settings, then focused. I can see where zooming in could give you an alternate depth of field to a degree, but again I don’t work with those capabilities enough to tell you more.

Participant

Found manual focus. Downloaded GL2 manual. Meanwhile bought CanonEOS 5D MkII SLR/HD Video instead of camcorder for HD.

Hope I made the right choice

Participant

I cannot say much except that from what I read the Canon 5D is a great camera. I did fool around with the T2i and was amazed at the quality. It really is a superlative camera for the price. I am fan of the Canon brand and just bought the XH A1s. I can’t help but think you will be happy with your DSLR. Enjoy.

Participant

I did mean to reply to the original poster re the GL2 and got sidetracked. I had a GL2 and was really happy with it. I completed 2 docs and 3 shorts including an award winner with that camera and never had a problem. Go for it – it won’t let you down.

Participant

Thanks, Brummie. I’ve had several GL2’s over the last few years. I tried a couple XL1’s, which were good, but frankly didn’t produce an image equal to the GL2. I’m learning more and more about how to get peak performance from it. This is a demo cilp of part of my training program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO7zJpCsKQc

All footage for this clip was shot with a GL2.

Evan

Participant

Earl & all…

Here is my most recent promo project for my start up video business. This one is for Video Shorts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egf3EL9J3os

All feed back is greatly appreciated. I’m always learning. Thanks.

Evan

Don’t want to rain on your parade Evan, and I’m being totally subjective on this based on MY personal likes/dislikes. Too canned, sounds contrived and comes off artificial and impersonal.

I prefer offering something that can be developed from scratch, more customized and personalized, and has a warmer voice over element. Very many of these start showing up and they’re all going to start looking and sounding the same.

I know and understand what you are focusing on here: simplicity of production, reaching people who have NO ability in developing web video for marketing their products, brand or services, keeping the formula affordable and the turnaround time at a minimum so you can make money and deliver an affordable product that looks sharp for the smaller business or advertising budget. Right?

But two key elements of independent or mom and pop operations in the small business community have two areas that can primarily make them stand out (IMHO) from the bigger guys: warmer and friendlier approach to personal service, and the ability to build relationships and trust. This might be a bit off-putting to the independents, whom are probably your target audience.

Participant

“Best choice for SD Indies, dollar for dollar?”

I wouldn’t buy anything that takes tapes. I think that the GL-2 camcorder hasa broad assortment of manual controls for the price, but think to yourself, is it worth to spend a few hundred dollars extra, or fork over the times your tape won’t start in changing temperatures.

“Any ideas on finding refurbished Canon camcorder AH A1? …”

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Willoughby_s– not the best of the best reputation

http://www.novatechgadgets.com/caxha1cacd.html– $360 more than Willoughby

Participant

Earl,

I appreciate your directness. But I’m not clear about a few things.

1. What is it about this vid that seems so impersonal?

2. How can I better convey the “can be made from scratch” better?

3. I wasn’t thinking of my target market so much as having “NO ability to develop a web video”, so much as my ability to provide an affordable one that doesn’t look like it was made in someone’s garage. Did I miss that mark?

Is there perhaps a link to something of this sort that you can send me to? Thanks. Evan

Hello Evan.

No. 1 Cookie cutter format, sense and feel. Gives off a heavy sense of template formatting and give me NO sense that I as a small business operator can appreciate that such a product might reflect ME as a person, or my business as a affordable service-oriented establishment focused on REAL people. Just a gut reaction to the formulaic sense of the images, voice over and attempt to sound ultra professional but with no sense of warmth.

No. 2 Using REAL people (takes more time and effort, but using real footage will pay dividends IMHO) instead of stock footage and clip-art-looking pieces with moving background elements that seem simply for the sake of using them instead of really being conveyed as a part of the message, will help give most less sophisticated businesses (people who don’t refer to themselves as CEO’s or moguls but rather as small business owners, working stiffs, hard-invested moms and pops) a sense of “realness” I think. On the other hand I don’t think this WOULD appeal to companies or corporations that have budgets to spend on what they might perceive as high-end professional productions.

I think you must first acquire your own small business owner samples and footage, acquire your own independent business production imaging in order to put across a demo that truly reflects REALNESS to the people you need to sell, that doesn’t come off quite so much like faux fur, if you know what I mean. The production just comes off too much like a poorly created knock-off to me. But this is my knee-jerk, subjective opinion, not something carved in stone and others might respond differently here.

No. 3 I do think I understand what you want here (affordable quality that doesn’t LOOK homemade) but, again subjectively speaking, it comes off as being produced from an erector set of components rather than reflecting an ability to truly put together something unique, personal, specific and focused on a small business. Too affected. Too artificial.

Off the top of my head I cannot immediately come up with a good representation of what I mean, something that truly represents “realness” but I think the use of everyday businesspeople in real small business environments with actual business location settings would reflect better and more positively on the REAL small businesspeople you want to reach.

Also, Evan, I think small business operations need more to convey a message of personal service, affordable products and accessibility rather than being a brand-motivated message like you see in car ads or department store bling-streams.

Participant

@EarlC & EvanG. If I may offer a video answer that “I think” but am not sure that EarlC is pointing to (http://www.tasana-studios.com/att-ad.html) The first ad which is #6 “The Roof of Tennessee”

I do agree with EarlC EvanG the voice is too harsh. (I hope my advice on the voice it not too harsh) it almost sounds scratchy. I do think this video would be great for Enterprise Businesses. Larger ones. Because just watching it over and over that is the feel I get. It is targeted at the Enterprise sector. When I was at Dell we had to watch these videos.

Now if you are going for the smaller businesses I agree with EarlC. Use real people. As an incentive, walk into a local small business, speak to the owner, suggest your idea that you want to create an ad for your business but using their business as a model. It would cost them nothing and their business would be promoted in your ad. You might approach a few businesses that target different markets. I like EarlC felt it was impersonal. You might soften up the video, if you shot these use light with a light blue filter to soften the lighting. If they are stock, add a tint to them to take the stark white. I like you am learning and like you I have gotten tons of pointers form all sources I can. And I take any advice. Sometimes the hardest advice to take is from my family. AT&T was very picky but everything they told me I did. Because I knew it would be for the best.

I think you are heading in the right direction with the promotion, I would soften it up, seek a voice that is soft, warm and someone that you just want to listen to. A good example is David Attenborough he has a great soft yet attentive voice. Now I know you can’t get him, but it gives you an idea. I hope I have not offended you.

Greg

Participant

Not at all, Greg. I’m learning all I can, and that won’t happen if people soft peddle the truth about what I’m doing. This little short is an experiment in Earl’s suggestions. For some reason the audio isn’t good. But it’s the overall effect I’m trying to improve. I greatly appreciate the input. Please keep it coming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emkz6cXG73s

Evan

YES! Better and closer to what I believe would prove effective while remaining in the affordable/doable range of what I believe you are trying to achieve Evan.

Uh, oh, here comes stuff you DON’T want to hear. The logo intro/closing for the donut is a bit too much IMHO. Tone it down just a bit. It simply doesn’t have to be that “high impact!”

Participant

I have no experience in this genre, but I still think #3 (as far as the narration goes) tops everything. I’d like to see a bit closer shots, though, zoomed in on more of the action. Default title fonts and transitions are amateurish. I didn’t say it, but I have noted it. I’m not saying that they weren’t good for that video, but to go along with the fanciness of the background, I’d pick a different font.

Participant

Loved the change in “action and people” this is more what you are targeting. It being shorted was a plus as well. I do not remember what video book it was but it suggested keeping the action changing every 6 seconds. I have to agree on the fonts, Stock fronts remind me of Microsoft Movie Maker. I liked the effect around the videos. But in the fonts, in your editing software you may have the option that with stock fonts to alter them a bit. You might want to look. In my software it is in the attributes of the Title effects. I pull in the stock titles but then go into the attributes tab and change things up.

Also I know the STRONG desire to put in your logo at the start and end of a production. Thus far I have had 6 public showings, in a theater like setting for 5 of them. and I found it goes over better if “YOU” are at the end. When I started I was thinking that I wanted to viewer to know it was me. But I learned that they already know that. So I asked for feedback and learned to put it at the end. Thnk of it this was.

At the beginning viewer “smith” sees your opening logo. He may then be watching with the thought “well this guys thinks so and so of himself” But suppose you left it out at the beginning. The viewer “smith” watches the presentation, and is thinking “WOW this is impressive, who did this” then at the end up pops YOU. He then grabs his pen and takes the information. This advice I obtained from several people 1 being my wife. It has really helped in the perspective that people have when they watch my stuff.

If that is your voice, are you able to alter the pitch? PPP Pitch, Pace, Power. Here are a few suggestions. I listened to it several times and have a few ideas.

Pull back from the mic, There is an echo or reverb effect I am hearing. So it is almost like a speaker phone effect. If you are using a computer mic, try using your camera mic. Set the camera in front of you in a large room, get the room quite, No fan’s no AC’s no dogs, cats, birds, kids, radio. In fact close your eyes and strain to hear what is not there. Then turn the camera to you, put yourself in a relaxed posed but where you can still draw from the diaphragm. do not “read” a script but get the “idea” in mind and “talk” to your audience. Do several takes, varying the approach to the “thought”. Speak softly, like to a child but not down. Then if your software will enable you, split the audio from the video and blind that in. I think that will help a great deal with the voice over. But I love the change in video, what I saw was something that the smaller business would want to use.

Participant

I very much appreciate all the input, and especially the suggestions. I’m working on changing my approach to this market. I think there is consistent potential there. I’m also leaning toward hi def.

Participant

Then I highly recommend one of the new line solid-state HD camcorders. If you’ve got the “good enough” professional computer for editing, then you’re probably ready for AVCHD. Most of them even offer dual recording capabilities.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap