getting organized

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Another thing… I have completed a 10 minute documentary and I have clips on my desktop, in my documents, in my videos, on external drive and a bunch of other places scattered on my computer. If I try to put them all together in one folder I get an error when I start the editing program. Is there any way to organize all of the clips under one folder or whatever instead of having them all over the place until the project is actually complete?

Participant

What editing program are you using? With FCP you can reconnect “missing” files (once you move them to 1 location)…

Inactive

I am using cyberlink version 7. What do you think of that problem? any help would be great! Thanks

Sorry, I don’t know your program, but will SOME files settle friendly in a single folder, while others do not? Can you first move all the compatible files, then narrow it down to the problem files?

At least, it seems, at that point you could trouble shoot and identify the problems with the specific files. If all of them are acting badly, is there somewhere within your program that allows you to select a file, attempt to process it, then the program will give you an error notice of some sort?

I know this is frustrating on ANY program and with ANY batch of files in which it occurs, but there is often some kind of workaround. I have also, sadly, had to pretty much redo everything when it seemed something had contaminated my files, making them imcompatible and uncooperative.

I have also settled for dubbing off the clips, or whatever resources, making and renaming their files onto a different hard drive, in separate files, then attempting to combine those files into one working file. PhotoShop and Pagemaker have done this to me occasionally for no apparent rhyme or reason.

Inactive

Hi EarlC, yeah a few files do settel into folders but most do not! Its really strange! But let me ask you, when you work on a project and lets say all your media does not come from the same source, like some from your camera others from a disk that has been pre recorded and yet some more from internet… how do you organize all of that so thats its not all over your computer and doesn’t get all mixed up with 3 or 4 projects that you have on the go?

I am by no means the king of organization, but this is how I do things.

For commercial projects I usually set up a file folder named and sometimes dated. Inside that file are subfiles for photos, Audio, primary, B-Cam, misc. (something like that) Over time I have now conditioned myself to religiously place incoming resources into these files, or create another folder that defines something I haven’t thought of at the moment, but always in the primary folder for that project.

I also have a Shared Resources file on a hard drive that contains NOTHING else. In this file are related folders for Photos, Audio, Repurposed footage, etc. It has become my “go to” folder for things I remember or think I have and narrows the search for them when they are needed to enhance an ongoing project. I will copy, not transfer, these files or the portions thereof into my primary project folder for that project. Redundant, but also keeps my shared resources intact and I don’t wind up with something somewhere else and not being able to locate it in a rush.

It was once muc more expensive, but continues to become less, I also have oodles of firewire hard drives and usually always dedicate ONE hard drive to ONE project. Thus, over time, as I am accumulating materials and resources, I get them where I want them. I also have developed a habit of when I do identify something from whatever (photo, video, audio, etc.) that I THINK might be a future “shared resource” item, I immediately isolate this and place a copy in my dedicated hard drive.

This is NOT to say that even though done “religiously” I do not sometimes get deep into a rush project and totally abandon my well-honed working habits. I cringe when that happens, knowing I am screwing with my system for organization, but deadlines sometimes take the priority. I try, as often as possible, when done with such a project to go through the resources and place them back where they belong, or re-assess them and act accordingly. This is often the case when I don’t have back-to-back rush projects and am taking a relaxing breather and a cup of coffee or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Inactive

Wow thanks EarlC. You said 3 great things there. 1 To copy the files..your right, thats the ticket and thats what I should be doing. Another was to have a dedicated hard drive for the project that you are working on! yeah thats the ticket again.. and third, to put all files back where they belong after your finished with a project. This sounds so simple but I really had stuff everywhere on my computer for my last project…that by the way…the Company wants to change just about everything!!!!! God! But anyways Earl C thanks a ton for your help. I will for sure set up a mock prokject tonite and try this out!

Thanks buddy!

You make me blush πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Mobile Workstation Buyer's Guide

The best laptops for video editing β€” 2020

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap