Getting a Grant to Set Up Video Classes

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

We recently had a reader ask us this question and wanted to open it up to forum interaction:

“I teach at a high school in Kansas City that serves students
      from low-income homes. I am in search of potential targets to solicit a grant to
      support the set up and delivery of video classes at the school where I teach. If
      you have any suggestions to send my way, I would be most
      appreciative.”

The best sources I have for grants comes from either going to Kickstarter to set up a fundraiser online: http://www.kickstarter.com/or to the Foundation directory to see which foundations are supporting schools in the way he mentions:http://fconline.foundationcenter.org/

Does anybody have any other sources this gentleman could look into?

Thanks!

Participant

I wonder if there is thepossibility of soliciting support fromlocal businesses to underwrite or supply equipment. Aretail or rental company thathandlesvideo equipment, computers, video editing software, etc. Perhaps an inquiry to some of the major players who make video equipment (Sony, Canon, Panasonic etc.) to supply some of the equipment needed. Video professionals could be asked for their old DV camcorders as they switch to HD. Personnel from a local tv affiliate or other people in the video business (Videomaker forums participants?)could be enlisted to help with the setup or instructing the classes.Allowing the use of their sets, stages, equipmentetc. could be used as a field trip apportunity. I hope this helps.

Inactive

Thank you for this post and your suggestions.Vid-e-o-man has some good suggestions. I wonder if any of the major players monitor your forum and can provide links for the charitable arm of their organizations.

I appreciate your support and assitance.

Daniel,

When it comes to getting grants, the bottom line is to hire a professional grant writer. I work with one and she has made the diff between getting a grant and not getting one. The world of securing grants is so twisted and convoluted as to boggle the mind. It is not simply a matter of just ‘filling out the forms’. Even the suggestions of Videoman about getting local businesses to underwrite equipment, is tricky as they will want the gear returned in the exact same condition as loaned. So you’ll need production insurance to cover the cost of the gear should it get damaged. Another thing to consider; local business will expect a return of some kind for their efforts. You’ll have to be creative in coming up with something that will get them interested in lending you what you need, but not put you in the poorhouse!

Know that charitable organizations are not ‘charitable’. They have very specific agendas they are pushing and what you are doing will have to be exactly in line with what they want to portray. They are not going to spot you the cash to make your ‘thing’ that has nothing to do with theirs. Same goes for getting grants. A pro grant writer will be able to sit down with you and help you craft your project to meet the guidelines to what the Grantor wants to see in your proposal. Also, if you do get any money nearly all production grants are there for ‘finishing’ fees to help you get your project completed, not finance your project. They always expect you to have found other moneys and that theirs is the last money in.

You can see it for yourself on PBS’ Producing for PBS section on their website. There will be listed some of the basic stuff that will be in a proposal for a potential PBS program. Then look up Funding and there you will find some of the usual funding sources by which many of the programs on PBS get their money. You’ll need multiple sources so depending on how large your project is; you may need a lot of different grants.

Obviously, getting grants is possible. But you’re going to need professional help to get them.

Participant

Do Cable Companies still have local access channels that allow small groups a chance to work in a studio with real eqipment? I remember a few stories here where others were working withtheir local cable companiesand was thinking this might be a resouce worth looking into.

Inactive

Thank you Composite 1 and CraftersOfLight. I can see why preparing a grant request can be challenging. I have my IS with TWC. However, producing for TV distribution is an exciting possibility I had not considered. I was considering developing video literacy in students with hands on equipments and the computer horsepower to edit the raw material.

Participant

Great responses everyone! Thanks for giving a member some help! You guys are very generous!

Crafters,

Yes, you can hook up with local cable co’s but again, ‘it’s tricky’. To just do a cable access show isn’t all that tough depending on where you are. You will need some money if the cable co. charges any fees for use of their equipment and the administrative needs you’re going to accrue (you’ll be surprised how many records you’ll need to keep!) Now if you’re thinking about doing a small scale cable channel, that’s a whole different (and uglier) animal. Doable, but tricky and often expensive despite the rules for it not to be. Dig around the older posts about Cable Channels as there was an in depth discussion about these options.

Daniel,

As always, we do our best to be of service!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap