Get rid of wind in background

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey,
      I’m working on a movie project with my friends, but some of our shots are horrible because of the sound of the wind covering up their voices. We tried blocking off the wind with an umbrella but that didn’t really work. Are there any suggestions of what to do or what settings may be on DV video camera? Thx

Participant

Wind Screens on the mic can help.

Participant

Depending on the software you are using to edit, you may have the option of using a high pass or low pass audio filter. The high pass will let everything above a certain frequency go through, and will mute everything below it. The low pass will mute everything above a certain frequencey and will let everything below it pass through. With wind, you’re probably gonna get some high and low frequencies, so you’d probably have to use both filters. You’ll just have to mess around with the settings to see what sounds the best. As far as getting a clean recording from the start, I really dont’ know. Wind screens are good, but if you have a normal consumer camcorder like I do, I don’t think it can use a windscreen. I’m still new to alot of stuff, so maybe they make them to go on the onboard mics for the cameras. As far as I knew, they were all for the external mics.

Participant

Amanda, you didn’t say whether or not you are using an editing program (NLE) or not. If you are, you can record the audio in a neutral environment seperate from the actual filming location, although this may be trial and error getting it just right so that it can be synched with the video, it will be well worth the effort in quality. If background effects are critical to the shot, they can be recorded seperate from any other dialogue also. So what you will end up with is 1 video track and 2 audio tracks, then you can adjust the volumes seperately in your editing program so the dialogue is not overpowered. If all this seems like too much work setting it up for post production, and the on camera microphone is all you have, plan on going out when conditions are less windy.

If you do end up recording audio seperate, remember that outside audio sounds different from indoor audio, so your neutral audio environment should match the content of the video, a bird chirping in the background, a car going by, or any other various outdoor background noises will sell the audio and video as one. It’s hard to fool the eyes and ears when they are working together, but if it’s done right the only person who will know is you.

Participant

Thanks everybody. Ya I just got new software, so now I can do multiple audio layers! Thanks again!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap