from HD to DV

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      kinomatico
      Participant

Hey guys,
      i hope i’m posting in the right section of the forum.
      so, i made a commercial shooted in DVCPRO 720p, and i made all the work in a timeline with the same settings (DVCPRO HD 50, progressive etc.).
      Now, since i need to make a master that’s a 4:3 DV-Pal, i export my timeline and put it directly into a DV-pal one, so that it will directly match the frame size to a 4:3 letterbox. obviously there’s a loss of quality since it’s a DV timeline, but i can’t really understand why the footage suddenly appears to be interlaced, even if the setting of the DV timeline is progressive. i mean, watching it in a TV monitor it has the smoothness of a progressive footage, but some strange lines (really similar to the ones of a bad interlaced) appears in the footage.
      any idea and/or suggestion? what am i missing? thanks in advance!
      michele

Rob
      Participant

I would try using a compression program. If you’re using FCP, then use Compressor.

Bring your HD video into the compression program and export it as DVCPro50 PAL (as opposed to regular ol’ DV PAL). DVCPro50 is twice the data rate of regular DV – DVCPro50 is 50Mbps and DV is only 25Mbps, so DVCPro50 will give better results.

Also, try setting up the export to be anamorphic instead of 4:3 letterbox.

kinomatico
      Participant

i thought to use that… now i’ll give to it a try. thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN