Frame-by-frame editing – if you’ve been there, done that

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Frame-by-frame editing – if you’ve been there, done that

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Arjun_M
      Participant

When I asked our Photoshop instructor about how an old black-and-white Bollywood movie was coloured, he said they actually do frame-by-frame editing and colour each frame.

Now that’s maddening! So I thought. If you’ve been there, done that, I’d like to know how the process was, how maddening, whether this is still a useful method of video editing/compositing, especially when the likes of FCP/AE/Shake/Fusion/firebugs are not at hand.

There’s CinePaint, supposed to be a step ahead of GIMP, in the sense it uses deep paint. Before getting into this rather tedious (?) process, I would like some expert advice. This is the task at hand-

It’s a music video to make. Let’s say I’ve put together one which runs a little over four minutes. It’s live footage from different angles put together. I also have another video, which is what I make in 3-D CG environment. Both are equally long. I also have Jahshaka, the annoying incomplete compositor-editor (now I find it’s been slammed on linuxfilm.org), which has a basic chroma module in video editing.

As of now, I don’t have the compositing tools mentioned above. I don’t even have chroma curtains, and I would need them to cover the whole room, not just the walls.

What would you suggest? What was the longest F-B-F edit you’ve done? What did you do in that edit? As against digital compositing? Again, I may use a massive DV-AVI or MPEG-2 (I still can’t find a converter) to work on.

PROCESSOR: Intel Core2Duo 1.8GHz
      MEMORY: 1GB RAM
      CAMERA: Canon MV920 (When I’m shooting)
      VIDEO EDITOR/SEQUENCER: Jahshaka v3.0 (duh!), Roxio, Movie Maker, Blender (don’t have the hang of this function)
      COMPOSITOR: Jahshaka v3.0 (fill in the brackets), Blender (don’t have the hang)
      PHOTO EDITOR (for F-B-F): GIMP 2.0, CinePaint (proposed)
      3-D CG: Blender

Anonymous
      Inactive

I personally use Bauhaus Software’s Mirage ( http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/ , $$$, raster-based) for my compositing and animation. I also have found Synfig Studio ( http://www.synfig.com/ , free), which I have found as the most fully-featured free animation/compositing tool, even though it is designed to be vectorized animation-type program and current builds seem to crash a lot (especially on Windows). Also, there is DebugMode’s WAX ( http://www.debugmode.com/wax/ , free) compositing suite. I haven’t played with the latter two that much, but they may be able to do what you need if you play with them.

videofxuniverse
      Participant

I would have thought with todays technology and software it would be easier to add a color filter to the film to give it that proper look. I mean the movie "300" had a yellow-red color filter used for every frame of the film. I can even make this filter its easy, by adjusting hue and saturation and curves (after effects) and then darkening the brightness. I suppose it depends on what you want and how you want it to look

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.