FORMATS FOR TV

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

WHAT FORMAT IS USED FOR TV? IF I WANTED TO SHOOT A COMMERCIAL TO PLAY ON TV WHAT FORMAT WOULD I USE. I THINK I HAVE AN IDEA BUT NOT 100% SURE.

Inactive

Standard TV is in 4:3 aspect ration. High Definition (HD) broadcasts are in 16:9 aspect ratio. If you’re talking about a typical TV commercial, you’ll probably want 4:3.

Inactive

no, I’m talking about the recording format. Digital, Beta, etc. Can I record a commercial in Digital format and be able to play it on cable television or satellite? Or would I need to use Beta or some other format out there?

I see these cheesy homemade looking local commercial ads on TV and I wonder what they are useing. Digital, Beta, or what? The local commercial looks so much different than a national commercial.

Participant

It varies for different stations and cable companies. It’s best to contact the television station or cable company that you are going to be sending your commercial to. Just ask them what formats they accept.

Inactive

and why, exactly, dooes a local ad look like it was shot with a handycam?

Participant

I’m certain that if you deliver a “tape”, DV, VHS, BETA the station will have the resources to convert it to whatever format they are using.

Participant

I would DEFINATELY not deliver video to the station on VHS, they will probalby laugh at you, and make you feel really bad. I would call the station to be certain what they want. I have worked with stations before that will only take dvcam (Sony proprietary) for whatever reason, and others that want only beta sp. You can have it comverted to whatever format you want very easily, but for good quality I would do a print to tape from your NLE and put it back onto a mini dv at full quality. A duplicattion facility can take it from that and put it to whatever wild format you choose…dvcam, beta, dvcpro, etc.
      Later
      ~Adam

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap