format question

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

what’s the difference between beta and digital? And what would be more likely used for commercial or TV use?

Thanks

Inactive

For TV, Beta (be it SP or Digi) and DVCAM are the name of the game. Any 3-CCD cam produces broadcast quality material anyway.
      Beta SP or even DigiBeta is no match to HDV… in terms of resolution, it’s ever lower than SD DV.
      But good quality commercials are actually shot on 35mm film. Although you can go with a DVCAM.

Inactive

I thought I heard that the BetaCAMS and DVCAMS have 800 (4:3 format) lines of horiziontal resolution versus DV’s 530 lines.

BetaCAMS and DVCAMS are typically used for commerical TV broadcasting. Those bad boys can get up to $27,000.00.

I rather buy a car!

πŸ˜€

Inactive

The resolution of Beta does not exceed 500 horizontal lines. DV easily matches and outperforms that. Still, Beta is a great professional format, used by TV stations, studios and professionals around the world, because high resolution isn’t everything.

Inactive

IN your opinion which dvcam would you use to get into the commercial business? I’m trying to piece together some materials and prices of professional equipment, and I’m not too familiar w/ pro dvcams.

Inactive

Look for the Sony DSR series. DSR200 is probably best in your case (3-CCD, shoulder mount etc), same with 250. PD300 is a dream (basic kits starting at about $ 7 k, easily up to $ 18 k with lens, batteries and everything).
      Can you afford that much? But really, is it worth it?
      Inquire the tech dept of the stations you intend to work with to find out their requirements. I’ve seen TV commercials shot on prosumer MiniDV (VX2000, VX2100) that look great.

Inactive

svhs Wrote:

The resolution of Beta does not exceed 500 horizontal lines. DV easily matches and outperforms that. Still, Beta is a great professional format, used by TV stations, studios and professionals around the world, because high resolution isn’t everything.

svhs:

You’re right with the beta resolution. :-// I thought the person I was talking to knew what he was saying or maybe I misunderstood him. Either way I stand corrected.

BUEYEHL:

Check out the link below. It’s a good start to answering your questions. Be aware that it gets kind of techanical.

http://www.dvcentral.org/DV-Beta.html

RAM

Inactive

I have probably posted these before, but anyway here are the resolutions of popular consumer video formats:
      (horizontal lines)
      VHS / VHS-C = 240
      Video8 = 250
      Video8XR = 280
      SVHS / SVHS-C = 400
      Hi-8 = 400
      Hi-8XR = 440
      DV / Digital8 = 500
      These may of course vary, but these values are considered standard.

Inactive

I’ve seen TV commercials shot on prosumer MiniDV (VX2000, VX2100) that look great.

Oh really! I did have those in mind, but I was mainly thinking weddings, events, ect. If I could go with one of these and produce professional looking commercials that would be awesome.[/quote]

Inactive

What do you guys think of the JVC GY-DV5000U? Looks like a nice camcorder.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses β€” 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap