Focus DTE drives

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am looking to buy a Focus or similar DTE drive and a few questions arise – can any one help please?

1. Camera is a PAL Sony HVR – V1P (V1U in some jurisdictions) and I understand using DTE devices still requires use of tape whilst recording?

2. I edit on a Mac using OSX 10.4.11 and Final Cut Studio with FCP version 5. Can I edit files produced on the DTE device without having to upgrade the software? It seems Sony’s own DTE device only produces files acceptable to FCP 6 or higher?

3. I only want DTE device to save time on capture to computer and don’t really want an expensive software upgrade – a DTE device is expensive enough!

I would appreciate advice from anyone with experience of using these devices.

Thanks.

Chris

Inactive

I just recently purchased two FOCUS FS-H200 DTE recorders. They use CF cards, and I must say they work wonders. The only problem I have with them currently is the battery eject button. The batteries don’t slip out like they are suppose to. Aside from that:

1. The FOCUS FS-H200 does not require a tape to record. I shoot with the Canon XHA1. I heard that may not be the case for all cameras.

2. I edit with FCP version 6. They clips from my DTE are a smooth transfer. No upgrade. Just load the CF card and transfer.

3. I recommend the FOCUS FS-H200. It truly simplifies post productions work flow. The cost runs about $879.00 a piece, not including CF cards. http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Good Luck!

Participant

Sorry for the long delay in replying – I’ve been away. Thanks very much for the enthusiastic review of the FS-H200 and I will try and buy over here in Europe – BHP are great except for the horrendous charges they make for shipping abroad. I have visited their shop twice and a visit to NYC isn’t complete without going in for a browse which inevitably finishes up with a purchase!

Thanks again.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Hand-held Stabilizers Buyer's Guide

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap