Focal Length in camcorders vs. cameras

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 16 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Greetings:

I am a REAL newbie. Looking at some camcorders to shoot some video for a DVD hiking guide (leaning towards Canon Optura xi). But I am quite confused when looking at its focal length – 4.2 – 47 mm. That focal length in a still camera would be VERY wide.

I’m looking for something that has considerable telephoto zoom, (for wildlife) as well as wide angle, but I don’t know what these numbers mean? Can anybody provide a ballpark figure of how these numbers compare with still camera lenses?

With appreciation,

Jon Shannon
      http://www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com

Inactive

Hank:

Thanks for the info. It was very helpful. It’s funny how you get used to and think you know a concept (i.e. “focal length”) and then find out that you really have no idea about what it really is.

I had tried googling “focal length” but came up with so many hits it was like trying to find a needle in the haystack….so thanks for the tip.

Inactive

if you are gonna be zooming, make sure to use a tripod or the shot is worthless.

Inactive

Only:

Thanks. Yeah. That’s something that’s all to clear in still photography too. I can see it would be even more so with video.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap