Flicker in DV of on-screen film

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m doing a project that involves capturing projected images of 16 and 35mm film on DVCAM tape. It’s the only way I can capture the images, which are held at the National Archives. I’m using a Sony PD 170 in a dimly lit viewing area, shooting the screen on the projection unit. The images are color true and sharp (or as sharp as the film), but when I view them on a monitor there is a distinct flicker. I’m not allowed to bring a monitor into the Archives to experiment there with flicker reduction. Is that a change I can make to the shutter speed of the 170 that will reduce the flicker during playback of the DVCAM tape?

Participant

your problem lies with the frame rate difference between the film which is played at 24 frames per second and your camera which records at 30 interlaced frames per second.

Participant

Hi,

This is a well known problem and there are solutions. Check this link which lists researchers on media issues who are credentialed with the National Archives and Records Administration. Many phone numbers here; you may get lucky and get a free remedy over the phone; or you may have to pay for a resource. I brought this link up by starting with http://www.firstgov.gov which is the portal for surfing to anywhere in the Federal Govenrment not behind a firewall.

http://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help/motion-pictures.html

Good Luck!

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap