First Wedding. Help Welcomed!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Okay so this coming Saturday I am shooting my first wedding. For my company I usually shoot game tapes and sports videos, but no weddings yet. My main camera is an XH-A1 but I am renting a Sony HVR-A1U and the Sennheiser EW 112P G2 (wireless lav mic)

My plan is to set the Sony on a tripod at the back as a wide-shot and walk around with my A1 since I know it better. The mic will be on the groom. But since this is my first time using a wireless mic system, I don’t know how to hook it up properly.

Would it be best to have thereceiverwith me on the XH-A1? So that way I canmonitorthe levels as I go along.

Also, I am concerned about syncing up the audio and video of the 2 cameras + the lav mic. Should this really be a concern?

I’m not worried about editing it all together because I have obviously edited a lot of footage. Just capturing the wedding is what I’m concerned about. But if you need to know I’m editing on FCP6.

Any other recommendations are welcomed!

Thanks.

ld

Inactive

LD,

Is it possible to get someone to run the wide angle camera at the Rear? That would give you much more flexliblity..As for the wireless I use a MIni recorder, I use a lav mic on the grooom, slip it in his pocket and let it run.Just get him to give you a few seconds of testing testing and set the limiter(most have them).

Sync will be an issue, I just finished a weeks worth of editing syncing up 2 cameras and 1 audio track but well worth it! I basically chopped the whole mess up and re-assembled. Dont worry about sync while filming, Just look for flashes and sounds when syncing it all together in studio. I also had to insert 3 tracks of music the dj didn’t turn up on the outside PA. Just enough to hear but not mess with the ambient sound(whatch for phasing) Thats another story.

Sounds like you have enough equip. and knowledge to pull it off though…Good Luck.

Harry

Participant

Sounds like you have most of the details correct. I would look for someone to stand behind your back camera and make sure nothing happens (audio levels coming through, remaining level on the tripod, and no one standing in front of the camera). Don’t stress if you can’t find someone…at least you’ll have your camera up front with a great view. I would keep the lav mic receiver on your camera so you can watch the levels and adjust accordingly. If you don’t have to buy a mini recorder or extra equipment I wouldn’t since it sounds like you aren’t doing a lot of weddings just yet.

Syncing shouldn’t be too hard with 2 video tracks and the audio from the lav mic. Just make sure to sync everthing BEFORE you do any editing. Get all your video and audio lined up so they match and then make any edits such as cutting from one angle (back camera) to another angle (front camera). This may take some time but if you find a common noice (cough, talking, etc) or common sight (camera flash, someone talking, etc) then you can sync them together. Sometimes I even go to the vows or another big moment to find my sync point. I do this because that’s where a lot of people take flash pictures and their aren’t many people talkind during this part. The biggest part of syncing a wedding with 2 or more cameras is, to NEVER stop recording during the ceremony. It will be a pain to sync if either camera gets turned off. Even if you are walking around with your handheld camera pointed at the ground, keep it running.

Good luck.

If you have any other questions, check out my site. It’s dedicated to improving peoples videos and I am starting the discusion on wedding videos and how to film like a pro.

http://www.ImproveMyVideo.com

Inactive

Thanks guys!

Yeah I won’t be buying a digital voice recorder because I already booked that lav mic.

Unfortunately I can’t get anyone to stand near the rear camera but since I’m going to therehearsalI will be able to find anappropriatelocation to set it up. Also the bride is verylenientso if I ask to put some type of border around the tripod I’m sure she won’t mind.

Another question. Should I hit record on both cameras at the same time just minutes before the ceremony begins? The ceremony will only be 30 minutes so I have some time to let the cameras roll.

Thanks,

ld

Inactive

You dont have to hit start on both at the same time, You can sync pretty easy in editing. I use markers in Premiere Pro…IE find a sharp noise and locate the beginning set a marker. go to the next camera track locate the same noise set a marker. In premiere as soon as the markers get near each other they lock on. From there just fine tune them to the Lips…if you can’t see any lips or something that really should be synced Then let it rip..Good Luck…what area are you in?

Harry

Inactive

You dont have to hit start on both at the same time, You can sync pretty easy in editing. I use markers in Premiere Pro…IE find a sharp noise and locate the beginning set a marker. go to the next camera track locate the same noise set a marker. In premiere as soon as the markers get near each other they lock on. From there just fine tune them to the Lips…if you can’t see any lips or something that really should be synced Then let it rip..Good Luck…what area are you in?

Harry

Inactive

Thanks Harry, I’m in Southern Ontario, Canada… just north of Toronto.

No way you can do a good job without a second camera operator. That wide shot of the camera at the back would be boring. Here’s how I shoot weddings.

That camera at the back on the balcony (with an operator) would be on a fairly tight shot ofthe priestwho is performing the ceremony.The operator can vary his shot, sometimes including the couple.The wireless lavalier would be on the priest, who after all, does the most talking. The priest’s lavalier should pick up the couple’s audio fairly OK. The second camera, positioned behind the priest shoots the couple most of the time. It can also takes shots of the guests from that same position. If you only have one mic you can use the on board mic on this second camera to pick up audio from the loudspeakers just as a guide track. If this audio is good you can even use it. This camera can even shoot the choir.

If you have a plug-in transmitter you can plug this into the church’s PA and your camera on the balcony can also shoot the persons who are doing the first and second readings.

Think of what equipment you haveat your disposal and how best to use what you have to cover everything. Keep both cameras running continously and use still photographer’s flashesfor achieving sync.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap