First Videographer Camera Starting out HELP with your opinion

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear First Videographer Camera Starting out HELP with your opinion

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      pugdogproductions
      Participant

Hi! I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice. I am interested in investing some money into a professional camera. I would also like to get lavs and a tripod…hopefully all under $3,500.

Any advice on cameras? DVCAM vs miniDV tapes? Memory sticks vs tapes? Lav mic brands that are good?

Anything is appreciated! Iam looking on BH photo website and it’s too much info!!

Ellen

Anonymous
      Inactive

You’ve got quite a project on your hands.

Look at : http://www.geekbrief.tv/category/video

Here’s what she uses:

Current Video Production Setup
      Computer: Mac Pro & a MacBook Pro for video on-the-go.
      Camera: Canon XH-A1
      Lights: (2) Kino Flo Diva Lite 400 & (2) Lightpanels
      Microphone: In Studio: Countryman Mic , On Location: ElectroVoice Mic with the Sennheiser EW100 G2 transmitter/receiver kit
      Teleprompter: ProPrompter
      Software: Final Cut Pro , Visual Hub , Lostify & dvcPrompt
      Graphics produced in Photoshop

Current Audio Production Setup
      Microphones: (2) Electrovoice RE20 Mics
      and a Heil Classic Pro
      Mixer: Mackie Onyx 1220 , with the Mackie Onyx Firewire Card
      Compressor/Limiter/Gate: dbx 1066
      Solid State Recorder Marantz PMD570
      Headphones: (2) AKG 240s

Also search through Videomaker, they’ve done a number of articles about lavalier microphones.

——————————————–

Anonymous
      Inactive

LOL, Isn’t the macbook alone $3500?

You will NOT be a pro videographer with $3500 of equipment. But lets get through your first gig.

Used Sony FX7 $1500
      used dual core Pentium4 with 1G Ram Windows xp $500
      Your favorite entry-level authoring tool (ulead, pinnacle, whatever) $120
      Firewire, tapes, $80
      Davis & Sanford tripod $300
      Sony Camera bag $140 (do NOT show up to a gig just carrying your cam, it’s GOT to be in a cool bag!)

Anonymous
      Inactive

OK I have been working on a budget similar to yours for quite some time so I feel like I can be of some help.

Since you didn’t mention a computer, I’m leaving that off…I’m assuming you already have at least a basic setup

I will give two options for you since yu didn’t mention HD v SD

HD:

Because of your budget, it would be my guess that you don’t have the most up-to-date software available (not an insult, most people I know don’t) But that will make working with AVCHD files very complicated and annoying. The sony fx7 would be a good choice because of sony’s low light versatility but also look at the HD1000u if you want something a little larger and more stable.Those were just my first two suggestions. If you want some more specific opinions, just let me know more about what you are looking for.

SD:

I am a member of the canon fan club and will be for life. If you are going to stay SD then you want a canon xl2. This was my first camera and it was brilliant in every way, I sold it to go HD but it hurt to get rid of it. Other than that, Panasonic makes some good SD full-sized cameras that most of the local news stations in the cuntry still use. And the Sony PD170 is also a good choice and a favorite of some of the other members of the website. (i found this on b&h it might be worth checking out. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/306461-REG/Sony__DSR_PD170_3_CCD_Mini_DVCAM.html)

As for the mics, I have only used azden wireless and they have never failed, I would give you model numbers but they are about five years old so I’m sure there is more modern available. but definitely check them out.

I hope I helped you out a little bit. It is a bit hard not knowing exactly what you will be using it for or what you need, so if you would like to chat further just post back and I will help as best i can.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Production Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best lenses for video — 2021

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN