First Time Shooting a local Band

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am a still photographer, and have been asked to shoot a video of a local nightclub band onstage. I realize this is an involved subject, but Can anyone offer some beginning advice on the rental of some basic Audio equipment and what type of camcorder might surfice for this type of work. I am mostly concerned about the audio, I am wondering if an on camera Mic will be good enough to capture their sound! The final product will be a CD, for them to present to potential new clubs owners.

Participant

Personally I would not use the on camera mic as your audio source. In a club it would be too hard to keep it from clipping and the drums/bass would likely drown out everything else. You will need to check out what kind of equipment the club has first and see how you can hook things up. I would bring a laptop and some kind of USB audio recording interface. It really depends on how you want to record it. If you just want a quick and dirty recording you can output a stereo channel from the mixing board into your recording interface. But if you want to actually remix the recording later it gets quite a bit more complicated.

The USB recording interfaces I’ve used are the Tascam US-122 (newer version is US-122L). It can record 2 channels at the same time so you could have a stereo recording. You would use this one for your quick and dirty recording. It’s actually pretty nice, but can be a pain to setup (on the computer) sometimes.
      http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=57830
      The USB interface I use currently is the Lexicon Omega. You can record 4 channels at the same time. You could hook it up via direct outputs from the mixing board, or by using aux sends. You would use this if you wanted to remix the recording later.
      http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=56192
      It’s not likely that you’ll be able to find a USB interface to rent. You’ll be able to rent some mic’s and stuff though, but usually if a club is a decent size, they should be micing everything up there already. It would be smart to check and see what kinds of mics they plan on using for the live sound.

All in all it may be a better idea to use an existing cd recording of the band as the audio and totally discard the live sound. That way all you have to worry about is having 3-4 video cameras setup. Then you can splice clips in where they belong on the sound track and make it look like a sweet music video with a studio recording.

I dunno. I guess we need more info on what is actually possible for you to do and what kind of budget you’re on.

Participant

I got started doing local bands and I can tell you the best thing to do is to patch into the sub-outs of the clubs audio board. This method will blow away any other. The best way to do this is to either yourself or one of the band members talk to the audio guy (watch out they are usually dicks to video guys. Your getting in their way) and politely ask to patch into his board. Bring your own cables to do this. XLR’s and 1/4in patch cables are what you will need. As well as the requisite converters to make it work with your cam if it does not have XLR’s. The next best thing is to get either a wireless mic or a wired mic (sm 58 is what I used to use. It has a high SPL tolerance and a good sound)and put it in the back of the room. Clubs are very loud and most mic’s cannot handle the SPL at the front of the club where most of the noise is located and will peak. Or at the front will just pick up the drums or just the guitar but almost never the vocals. The back of the club will have a decent mix and be at a level that the mic can handle without peaking. Nothing is better than being wired into the mixer but nothing is worse than a on camera mic right next to the PA or drums. Using the CD will never work because bands (especially rock/alternative) usually play faster live than on their disks. No matter what you do you will never be able to match it up.

Participant

I personally had to learn the right way to do this the hard way. I used the Canon XL2 and set up shop 10 feet from the speakers…which were about 12 feet tall and were booming out. I was surprised that the XL2 mostly compensated for this, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6728642496638709985, but I learned a lot. For audio, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING will be to hook your camera up to the board, whether its an XLR or if you can manage a 1/8". That is the best way. If you can’t, then you need a separate audio capture device, and will need to get a feed off of their audio board. Do not ever attempt to simply use a camera mic.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap