First Job!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello Gentlemen:

I got my first (non-paying, of course) gig, a charity fashion-show. It’s a pretty big venue, and I was wondering what kind of setup y’all think I need. I don’t know if any of you have done this, but any first-hand experience would be greatly appreciated (!)

I’m thinking this would only require one camera at the end of the runway but do you guys think I need two? I’d probably have to rent a second one, but every fashion show I’ve seen has pretty much been shot the same way and I don’t know if it’s really necessary. Anyway thanks in advance πŸ˜€

Beth

Participant

Jim brought up a great point about the audio – and I would do as he advised. However, to get even better audio, I’d plug my digital recorder into the sound system. You’re not likely to have a dr just yet, but in another recent post on these boards, someone stated that they’re using an iRiver gadget to capture mic audio.

I checked the specs, and it has a "Line-in" but does not appear to have a mic jack, so I don’t know how they’re handling the attenuation difference, but it just might work with a soundboard (you’ll probably need an RCA adapter to plug into the board). Of course, this will only be MP3 quality, but it should be better than dangling a mic in front of a speaker. I’d still do the "dangle thing" though, for insurance. I’ve dangled them just a few inches in front of a speaker and it did pretty well, but not as good as a direct plug-in.

Use another mic (shotgun or maybe even just built-in) pointed at the audience (from a distance so you don’t get just one loudmouth). You’ll need this for your reaction audio.

Inactive

It would be nice if the runway camera is 4-5 feet above the runway surface. I would have a second angle behind the crowd and about a 45 degree angle from the runway. Make sure you can get wide enough to capture the ending when all the models and designers come on stage.
      Several years ago I did a lingerie shoot and used a third camera all they way to the rear and centered on the runway. Lots of models and a wide stage was the tough part. Lighting might be a challenge. Find out in advance how it will be lit- spot light, etc. Keep the exposure control set for skin tones since outfits can vary widely in their level of brightness.

Inactive

Get as many cameras as you can. Borrow ’em, rent ’em, or buy ’em, just get ’em. You can never get enough cameras, especially at a live event, where you only get one shot to get everything.

And as important as cameras are, don’t forget the microphones! Poor sound quality can and will destroy even the most incredible video, and even the worst video from the cheapest cameras can be sanctified by incredible audio quality (for proof of that, look at the hit movie "Blair Witch Project" – Shot entirely on Hi-8 cameras, but with superb audio quality). If the event has it’s own sound, you could probably rent a decent wireless mic and clip it to one of their house speakers. Jst don’t clip it directly in front of the cone, or your audio levels will probably be distorted and/or clipped.

One last thing, and this really goes for any video. Unless you have good artistic reason not to, try to obey the rule of thirds. That is, imagine dividing your screen into three sections horizontally, and 3 sections vertically, giving you a sort of tic tac toe ( # ) across your viewfinder. Try to keep your subject matter on one of these lines, that way they’re not way out of frame, and they’re also not directly centered, which looks sort of boring. Of course, there are many times when the rule of thirds doesn’t apply, but as a rule of thumb for the absolute beginner, it will compensate for a lot, and give your video a more professional touch.

How’s that for starters?

Participant

I could kiss you all!!! (but your wives would probably object — 😯 )

Beth

Inactive

KBVP

Several years ago I did a lingerie shoot and used a third camera all they way to the rear and centered on the runway. Lots of models and a wide stage was the tough part.

KBVP,
      If you ever need another camera for that gig, I’ll fly down! πŸ˜€

RAM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap