First camera purchase. Want advice.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m looking into buying my first mini DV camcorder w/o HD because I was told by a videographer that HD requires a docking station and added components for editing and this is my first project and I want to keep costs down.

I’ve been comparing the Sony mini DV 170 to the Panasonic AG- DVX100B. The Sony sounds like a better camera overall, but it doesn’t have the 16:9 ratio or 24P and I’d like to get a more cinematic look. But it is much better in low light. Also the audio quality is not comparible, but then I read anyone doing a quality project wouldn’t want to rely on the stationary mic anyway and should use an auxilary microphone.

All the new Sony cameras in that price range have the HD added and I was told to avoid HD.

I’m not sure what to think.

Participant

I want to make indy films. Can you tell me why one is better for that and one for shooting events? And also regarding the HD. Was I told right about that? More expensive to edit?

I also worry about the lack of low light capability compared to the 170. I’d like to rely on natural light as much as I can.

Participant

I foyu are looking for indie use then I would suggest the Canon XL2 for mini DV is is slightly more expensive than the Panasonic, but It offers a lot mor verastility and it has a lot of very nice manual contorl options that Panasonic and Sony do not offer. If you want nice shot, profesional shots then XL2 is the way to go. Check out this video from dvcreators.net, this was not produced by Canon as an ad, but rather is infor from DV Creator’s themselves. Great video that proves that the XL2 has more ot offer than people really know:

http://dvcreators.net/media/demos/xl2featuretour/xl2featuretour.html

and if you want some intese reading, keep in mind that this article is a little bias towards the Panasonic, as it is an article written for DVXuser.com, a panasonic fan site:

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

They basically always say that the Panasonic is better (surprise surprise DVX user!!!), but they almost always say that the XL2 is a real close second place. And they also are inexperienced users of the camera, so they probably did not do everything as well as they did with the DVX. These were the 2 main things that helped me make the decision to purchase the XL2 over the Panasonic DVX.

Participant

I’ve pretty much settled on the Panasonic AG-DVX 100B. I also want to make music videos and want to make sure I pick up good audio. Nice thing about music video is that you can do all the audio separately. But I love good sound and I also need to know what to get to pick up good sound while I’m filming. Are there any microphones in particular that are best used with this camera? I suppose I need a separate boom operator wearing head phones to listen for distortion.

I mostly have ideas and little knowledge of equipment needed to realize them.

All opinions on this are welcome.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap