First Assignment

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey all, I finally got my first assignment for video. I play paintball a ton, and at my local paintball field, they are letting me make a short movie (20-30 minutes long) and I will be able to sell the DVD for about 5 bucks to whoever plays there. I’m pretty pumped, and does anyone else do these kind of movies so they could give me some advice? πŸ˜•

Inactive

First of all, congratulations!

Regarding your assignment, I’d take the “guerilla” approach: get in, have fun, shoot everything you can (on tape ;)): just think of what would the viewer like to see and it’s better to shoot too much than too little – you’re a cutter too, remember?, alternate angles and views, make you scenes as dynamic as possible. It’s all about action, so make sure your video has motion. And don’t forget about capturing ambiental sounds.

Being a couch potato like myself would require you observe a match first to understand how it works and what you should be shooting. But you’re already a player so no need to do that anymore (although watching a game as an outsider might provide a good perspective too). Then, plan: if your video should be about one particular match, document on the team members (maybe even interview them on tape) and the “goals” (if any), then shoot video of the actual game, then add comments from the players, the audience etc. You can also have someone comment the game from time to time and add a VO like they do with “real” sports.

You can however make everything into a music video, which will be shorter and more dynamic, but less informative – so if anyone wants to learn paintball by watching your video, it won’t be possible.

Think about all that. And don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t come out the way you want. It’s your first assignment.

Inactive

Oh and another thing: take precautions with all your gear, remember this is sports so anything could happen.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap