First artist interview – need feedback please

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Online Video First artist interview – need feedback please

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

From no notice to within 45 minutes I was asked to record some interviews, brought down my equipment and was set up and ready to go. No warning to really plan or brainstorm anything. This is what I have so far (I have 3 other similar interviews from last night). I would like some input, but also what I might be able to do to spice it up just a bit for the web as this will be the main format for sharing. I might be able to get some background music from each of the artists to play during the interview, but not sure if that will just be too distracting. Also add some kind of intro or even tail end credits. Is it something I should be crediting myself straight up on the video – or is this not proper etiquette for something like this?

Participant

doublehamm, audio sounded good, closeup of artist helps cut out some of the distracting background,I find the pass-the-mic a little distracting.So what I would suggest is to cut at the end of each person speaking and cut to the other’s response eliminating the baton pass. At some of these breaks you might be able to add some b-roll with some of the music you mentioned. As the interview progressed you headed in that direction. Low angle helped add some interest but a little loose.I’m assuming that you can’t reshoot to get a different setup (interviewer facing interviewee, two lav mics, two camera angles etc). You might throw your logo across the top of the screen in the black space at the end of the video ‘produced by doublehamm.’. Keep shooting.

Participant

<p class=”post”>

I only have one interview mic – I know I could
      definitely use another, or another lav. Best I could do with less than
      an hour notice and most my gear built for a day out at a wedding
      celebration. The background you think was too distracting? Not sure
      what to do, kinda of wanted it to look like it is shot in a studio. I
      have never done a real interview outside of wedding guest well wishes,
      so I am lacking in the area of how to set up correctly. I know 3 point
      lighting, but that is geared more towards a single person? I shot 4 of
      these for $100, and didn’t charge for the editing as I wanted to make
      sure they liked what I saw. They indeed did! Now they want me to come
      back bi-weekly to do studio updates and I will be paid considerably
      more. I would definitely like to improve!

Oh the finished version of that one is below. I didn’t add my logo, but I did add my business name a the end. http://www.youtube.com/user/MegatropolisRadio#p/a/u/2/CImi2e9jK7A

Thanks for the input so far!

Participant

By any chance did you shoot this in 1080? If you did, edit the footage at 720. That way you can switch between scaled and un-scaled footage, which will help remove some of the shots where you can see the paper with the questions the interviewer is holding. And take the advice of videoman, edit out the passing of the mic.

Participant

I would have edited out the passing of the mic, but I think it would have sped it up way too much and not sounded very natural. I don’t have any B footage to fill in. I do have one lav and one handheld, I might just have to go that route next time. I thought at the time it might look a little funny, but the passing is worse, I agree. 720 is a trick I might have to use. Actually I did zoom a bit on a couple of the closeups to frame it a bit better.

Any ideas for a better background that might not be so distracting?

Thanks!

Participant

Charles’ suggestion about the 1080 to 720 sounds like a good one. I liked the final better, as you said,a few more camera angles helped tighten up on the subjects. I should have been more specific about the distraction- the monitor in the background kept drawing my eyes to it (could be just me). Maybe a less bright screen would help or angled away from the direction of the camcorder.The lighting on the background was just enough to show some detail without being too bright to distract except for the shot near the end as you tighten up on the interviewer showing the contents on the desk behind him (water bottle etc.) If you have the time before rolling on the actual interview, have the subjects talkback and forthand practice shooting and check the framing of the shots that you plan to use andnotice howeverything shows, background objects, light on subjects (enough to make them stand out from the background, etc. Some of this might just make some usable b-roll especially some reactions of one subject as the other is talking. I’m not trying to be critical, just trying to help youimprove onawell-shot interview. Keep shooting.

Participant

Thanks again for the ideas , and point is well taken for the bright monitor – I did purposely seriously crank up contrast to darken the video and drown out the back a bit and kept enough there to be able to see the subjects.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap