firewire connection should send audio in camera mode?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound firewire connection should send audio in camera mode?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

When recording direct-to-disc via a firewire connection, will most cameras be expected to pass audio and video or just video only?

My JVC GR-DVL320a camera does not pass audio when in camera mode, though it does in playback mode. I am shopping for a new miniDV camera, and would like one that requires only a single firewire connection for direct-to-disc recording.

Participant

I now have a new NV-GS230 (lovely 3 CCD miniDV camera). It exhibits similar behaviour. That is, I can record camera sound or tape playback direct-to-disc, but when I am playing back I can’t hear audio on the PC. There is no device listing for the DV audio source in Windows audio devices, but it does appear in my capture software (eg- Windows Media Encoder).

It’s annoying… I’ve upgraded my audio drivers and would be willing to try a utility that could add monitoring so that I may cue to the correct place during capture. As a workaround, I am listening to the camera on headsets. During a live shoot, I am also unable to monitor audio on the PC, though I heard DVRack software can do it.

I am inclined to think that Windows only lists analog sources, those that can accept a volume control. Anyone have additional insights?

Inactive

I don’t have a IEEE1394 deck here, so I can’t tell you exactly where to look, but most of the capture/editing software that I have used has an option somewhere to enable/disable input audio on capture.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap