firewire connection should send audio in camera mode?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound firewire connection should send audio in camera mode?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

When recording direct-to-disc via a firewire connection, will most cameras be expected to pass audio and video or just video only?

My JVC GR-DVL320a camera does not pass audio when in camera mode, though it does in playback mode. I am shopping for a new miniDV camera, and would like one that requires only a single firewire connection for direct-to-disc recording.

Participant

I now have a new NV-GS230 (lovely 3 CCD miniDV camera). It exhibits similar behaviour. That is, I can record camera sound or tape playback direct-to-disc, but when I am playing back I can’t hear audio on the PC. There is no device listing for the DV audio source in Windows audio devices, but it does appear in my capture software (eg- Windows Media Encoder).

It’s annoying… I’ve upgraded my audio drivers and would be willing to try a utility that could add monitoring so that I may cue to the correct place during capture. As a workaround, I am listening to the camera on headsets. During a live shoot, I am also unable to monitor audio on the PC, though I heard DVRack software can do it.

I am inclined to think that Windows only lists analog sources, those that can accept a volume control. Anyone have additional insights?

Inactive

I don’t have a IEEE1394 deck here, so I can’t tell you exactly where to look, but most of the capture/editing software that I have used has an option somewhere to enable/disable input audio on capture.

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap