final cut pro vs adobe premiere pro

rfigliolini's picture

I'm trying to make a decision on which editing software to use.
Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro. Can someone convince me why APP
would be better than FCP? What's the advantages for a marketing company
wanting to take this in-house for some production work.

H. Wolfgang Porter's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"I find myself defending my position against the "industry-standard"

JP,

You're preachin' to the choir my friend. There was a time Premiere was a 'low-end' program, but those days are past. However, I had to listen to this same argument when FCP was coming up against Avid. All 'industry standard' means is 'that which the majority of professionals agree to use'. I guarantee you can still get a fist-fight going between Avid and FCP users if you push the right buttons.

The main advantage both FCP and Avid have over premiere is their integration with dedicated on-line editing setups. Avid and FCP have years and years of experience behind their programs for working with on-line editing arrays.

Adobe has mainly been a 'single workstation' minded software producer. Flash has been their primary focus for working in a server based environment. Moving the Creative Suite heavy-hitters like AFX, Premiere and maybe Soundbooth into the on-line environment would be IMO the last step in standing shoulder to shoulder with FCP.

My main beef with FCP has always been it not being cross-platform. Avid and Premiere are and I work with them regularly.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

JonnyPaula's picture

@composite1 - Yeah, very good point - most of my experience in the "workplace/industry" is from smaller production houses where we didn't do much/any on-line editing, and I have a tendency to forget how important that aspect of The Avid/FCP can be in the real work markets. From a 'single-user-alone-in-his-office' standpoint though, the line (at least to me) is very blurred as to which is better going into 2011.

-
Jonathan

Rob Grauert's picture

"From a 'single-user-alone-in-his-office' standpoint though, the line (at least to me) is very blurred as to which is better going into 2011."

Believe it or not, after Apple dropped the ball this past NAB, everyone has their eye on switching to either Avid or Premiere since Apple doesn't seem to care much about Pro Apps anymore. Some even feel FCP has gotten to where it is today only because of all the third party support, like AJA, Matrox, Boris, etc

If Apple doesn't do something with FCP for this next NAB, chances are people will begin migrating.

I really think if Adobe had a codec that was on the level of Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD, Premier would be set. Get the Adobe Suite. Pro Tools for audio. DiVinci Resolve for color grading.

H. Wolfgang Porter's picture
Plus Member Moderator

"... if Adobe had a codec that was on the level of Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD, Premier would be set."

I definitely agree with you there. As for which is 'better' concerning stand alone or online, I don't believe there's a 'better'. You only need online editing when you're working with a facility utilizing a server-based workflow among multiple editors at once. If you are working with other editors in an individually collaborative environment, you just need to workout what primary codec's you'll use and how/when you share the elements being made at a particular stage. It takes a bit longer, but it's a similar principle to onlining (potentially far less expensive too!)

Much fun as I poke at Apple, I do find it disturbing how they've all but told the users of Pro Apps "C-Ya!" I know right now mobile computing is where the money's going to come from, but it's going to be a while before you can do anything significant with a mobile 'iDevice'. But that's how business goes.

Yeah, I'd love to get a DVR, but when I contacted BMD they said no plans were in the works for making it windows friendly. However Magic Bullet Colorista II looks like a good option until then.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Rob Grauert's picture

"I work on a G5 and I have the ability to use either software suite."

Unless you get an old version of Final Cut Studio, your G5 is preventing you from using Final Cut. Final Cut Studio 3 requires an Intel Mac. I'm assuming the same will go for their new release, if they actually release it at NAB...

From what I hear, going from Adobe to FCP isn't bad. I have no experience doing that, though.

grinner's picture

I think we can all go from one NLE to another with no problem. I've used em all and would not hesitate to book myself in any room with whatever software they have. It's just buttons.

that said, whetever ya dig is what you should go with today. If it matches your workflow and your budget, do it. It aint gotta be a this software vs that software anymore. With strengths and weaknesses in every app and with prices only getting cheaper, I see it more as a this WITH that world now.

grinner's picture

naaa. Photoshop works fine with any NLE. You'll need to learn it sooner or later, just like After Effects. I see no need to mess with Light Room at all.

pseudosafari's picture
Plus Member

You should be able to import photos into any NLE, but one feature I like about Premiere Pro is the ability to import Photoshop projects and play with the layers (for example, set upkeyframes so one layermoves above another layer). Check out this video to see what I mean. Maybe you can do this in other NLE's--I don't know. But this is key for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeItmfEa1gw

fadlywychowvski's picture

I'm sure by this time, you would've already bought FCS or APP. Just make sure to be wary if you purchased the notorious Final Cut Pro X though. I like both softwares, both for their own reason. Why I like fcp is because I grew up with it, hence It's very intuitive for me, I also happen to work with it the longest hence I know every nook and cranny. Meanwhile, for APP, I'd want to use it if my workflow involves alot of adobe photoshop & after effects etc integrated in it. It'll make adjustments alot easier. I can also go another alternative and introduce 'Automatic Duck' so that I can cross platforms between final cut and adobe. Unfortunately though, I don't have automatic duck!

I happen to have alot of articles and websites on my blog that might prove useful if anyone wants to compare the two NLE softwares. Do check out fadlywychowvski.blogspot.com

grinner's picture

in this case, it shouldn't be a vs thing at all. Heck, they are both cheap as hell. Get em both if in a decision tissle. Time is dimes.

interman's picture

Hi Guys! I have a quick question. I am a PC user, so I use Premier Pro and Sony Vegas for my Editing projects.Some people say that Final Cut Pro is much better in render quality than other editing software's.Please explain is that true or not, and why? Thanks

grinner's picture

No.

Because yu can pick your render settings in all the apps you listed.

Jackal's picture

I'm just a hobbyist but I haven't edited in a long time. I'm a PC user but I used Macs while in school so I've used FCP and Adobe. I like them both but if I was going to as a profession I would invest in a High end Mac and use FCP. But since I'm just getting back into this stuff for fun I'm going with CS5.5 for all the package has to offer.

I actually came over here to find a topic about capture cards and saw this topic. I built my new PC for Vegas Pro but I think I'm going to go with CS5.5. FCP and PP both have their pros and cons but I guess, for me, it's about what kind of projects I want to do and budget. I haven't done any of this stuff in so long that I'm going back to square one.

Jaimie's picture

I love these religious-type arguments! If it is so hard to decide which software/platform to use then it doesn't matter which one you choose because they are about the same.

Personally, I have used different brands over the years and have come to the conclusion that the most important feature is reliability. The system that starts up every time, runs hour after hour, day after day without crashing, slowing, blue screening or exhibiting the endless variety of performance degradations that NLEs are prone to is the one for me.

All platforms are difficult to learn but offer great creative possibilities if you climb the learning curve. But nothing stifles creativity like frequent crashes or glacial-speed performance after you add a few effects etc.

Currently, I'm running CS5 on a high-end Windows 7 machine and it is very friendly. A friend who runs the latest "big Mac" with FCP says that performance problems with earlier systems seem to be fixed and he loves his newest platform.

Regards,

Jaimie

rafasbeard's picture

I have both FCP and Premiere installed on my Mac Quad Core 14GB Ram.

I hate using FCP, by the time I've set up my project in FCP I've nearly finished it in Premiere. Just seems to take ages to do anything and the constant rendering is a massive pain.

I also find Premiere accepts a lot more file formats with out having to process them or requiring extra codecs. In short FCP is strict were as Premiere is very forgiving, which for a beginner is ideal.

But like everyone said it's a taste thing.

Joel Mertz's picture

I went on somewhat of a rant about a year ago on this forum and spoke very poorly of Premiere Pro (PR) in comparison to Final Cut Pro (FCP). I have now been using PR CS5.5 on a daily basis for just over two years now and I have warmed up to it quite a bit.

It essentially has much of the same functionality as FCP and what differences remain between the two seem to become less and less apparent with each release (not taking FCP-X into account!). There are just a few quirks, bugs and inconsistencies to PR that still annoy me, but you cannot deny that this is absolutely a powerful and very professional editing tool.

FCP will always hold a special place in my heart however, as this was the first tool I started editing with nearly ten years ago. Adobe is here to stay though and I am proud to be a faithful Adobe follower and I am extremely grateful for the arsenal of weaponry they have given us all!

[ j o e l m e r t z ] video : design : web

KeiserSozai's picture

I am assuming if I had a PC and wanted to edit HD, my only option would be Premiere Pro right? I am going to be documenting a trip around the world and am hopeful I might get cable if not tv play... Well that's the plan anyhoo. If I can keep it HD that would be awesome. I want to future proof my work as best I can. I will be putting my work on a website I am developing so I will have more control over it with regards to keeping ownership. I am hoping to not have to go to Apple as I've never used it, but if it comes to that I may. Sorry if adding this to an old thread is taboo, but I was conflicted as where/how to edit my work and this thread came up in search....

Rick Crampton's picture

" Replying to an old thread . . . "   gives rise to the hope that more list members would take the time to do so! More than often a new thread is begun by those who DON'T take the time to research their questions, wasting other's time and bandwidth!  As for editing HD on PC, an alternative to PremierPro might be Sony Vegas Pro. I use Adobe, so I really don't know, but don't assume that the olny alternative to Adobe is FCP

KeiserSozai's picture

Sony Vegas Pro eh? I remember that program from about 15 years ago... you could buy it for less than a hundred dollars even back then it was pretty powerful... not as powerful as Premiere, FCP or Avid... Seems like things have changed. I am actually going to be buying a AVCHD Sony camera when I've figured out which one is for me... I don't suppose the camera would come with Vegas. I remember a few years back some cameras did come with a version of it... Not sure if it was full featured tho...

I also wonder if it comes with all the things you need to adjust color grading and correction and also whether or not you can create After Effect like effects without using After Effects or other 3rd party software? I have a yearly subscription to Adobe so it looks like I will be using this unless someone can point out troubles I may avoid if using Sony Vegas...

Rick Crampton's picture

I have no experience with Vegas Pro, but many on these forums speak highly of it. One thing for sure: if you're going to use a Sony camera you can be sure that there will be NO NEED for transcoding in order to edit in Vegas Pro. My best bet would also be that you can edit " natively " in Premier Pro. But if you want to use FCP, you MUST buy a Mac . . . . and if I'm not mistaken, you must transcode in order to edit in FCP.

Ed Merritt's picture
Plus Member

This thread really has some legs! 

In the years since the thread was first posted, there's been a lot ofchanges to NLEs. FCP was lobotimized in version 10. Subsequently, many die hard FCP users dropped it. Adobe made a lot of changes to PP and many have made that their NLE of choice. 

Adobe has had some flak thrown at them because of the Creative Cloud concept. No more buying the software and running it forever. Creative Cloud is a subscription service, currently about $50/month or $20 for educational customers. 

I started using PP with CS5 and have decided to stick with it using the Creative Cloud. It can be on either Mac or Windows, and the constant stream of updates insures I'll have the latest and greatest Adobe has to offer. The subscription model is not for everyone (hobbyists for example), but for professionals that make at least some of their income from videography, $50/month is a small nut. A user can install the software on up to two computers, so one on your desktop workstation and one on your notebook is a possibility. 

Adobe's tight integration with the other apps (Audition for example) make this a very professional suite. 

Pages