Final Cut Pro 4.5

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just started learning how to edit with Final Cut Pro 4.5. I’m having trouble with capture. I keep getting an error message about being unable to match the timecode.

Can anyone help me out?

Participant

Sounds like a timecode break error on your tapes, something that you have to watch out for in recording. If it’s very bad you may have to do a capture now on it. We’ll see what others have to say.

Later
      ~Adam

Participant

Adam,

Thank you for your quick response. I have been getting the timecode error message that you suggested as being the problem. This is probably a naive question, but how do I correct that?

Thank you.

Participant

Adam,

Thank you for your quick response. I have been getting the timecode error message that you suggested as being the problem. This is probably a naive question, but how do I correct that?

Thank you.

Inactive

What camcorder are you using with FCP? Digital or Analog? Cheap, mid, pro? Check to see that the timecode counter (in the viewfinder display of your camera) is present, and that it counts as you playback video.

It may be your camera that is goofing up, rather than the editing software.

-a

Participant

Thank you for the tip. I’ll check it out. I’m new at all of this, so I’m stumbling along. If you are right, how do I fix it? I’m using my Sony PD 170 until I can buy a cheaper camera for the deck.

Thanks again.

Don Vasicek
      dvasicek@earthlink.net

Participant

Thank you for the tip. I’ll check it out. I’m new at all of this, so I’m stumbling along. If you are right, how do I fix it? I’m using my Sony PD 170 until I can buy a cheaper camera for the deck.

Thanks again.

Don Vasicek
      dvasicek@earthlink.net

Inactive

Don, the PD-170 should be more than adequate for the job. It is a high quality cam, and should be ruled out as the weak link.

Are you using the digital cable known as an “iLink” or “Firewire” to connect to your computer? It’s a single cable that allows the cam and PC to “talk” via device control. Using a composite (three-color analog) cable will not allow for device control, and thus may goof the timecode readout.

I’m not familiar with a way to “fix” the timecode on the tape, after the fact.

A preventative that I practice is to record colorbars or black video (lens cap On) for the first 30 sec of a new tape. This method starts the timecode during a negligible part of the tape. Early timecode goofs may then fall before you start recording “for real”

Good luck!

-a

Participant

Thank you for your response. I’m using a firewire. Thank you for the tip on preventative measures to start the timecode. I’ll remember to do that.

Don

Participant

When you capture from a tape with a break in the timecode, you must only capture clips from one “section of timecode at a time. If you try to capture a clip before the timecode break and on after the break at the same time, you will get an error. Try capturing clips one at a time. Good luck!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap