Filter/white balance for shooting in snow?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cc
      Participant

I just bought a Canon GL2 and will be shooting mostly outdoor video including snowboarding/skiing/ice fishing, etc. I’ve never done this before and I’m wondering about the white balance. Should I use a particular filter? Can I stay with auto focus? I’m a relative newbie when it comes to manual focus so I’m hoping the camcorder is smarter than I am! X-D TIA.

Anonymous
      Inactive

The GL-2 has a neutral density filter built in. This will get you to the exposure you need for brighter scenes. You can go to shutter priority and set the speed higher also. I have never overloaded the imager in the snow. White balance in auto is very good. If you are shooting under varying conditions, leave it in auto- you can always tweak it later. If you shoot in the shade, early morning, evening, or cloudy conditions, you can set the white balance with a white card.

Keith Breazeal/Flight Video Magazine http://www.kbvp.com

cc
      Participant

Thanks for the advice. I guess the next best best way is through trial and error.

Anonymous
      Inactive

best filters:
      c-polarizer
      graduated nd filters.
      uv filter

best way to get good exposure/color:

kodak greycard take a manual reading off it for exposure and color balance (if you have trouble getting a custom wt balance off the greycard than use a white sheet of paper).

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap