filters for my HDR-FX1

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

Can somebody please tell me what the best filters are for a Sony HDR-FX1? The polarizing filter kit from Sony, which includes a protector lens costs $159.99. I’ve seen them for $5 all the way up over $100, so I don’t know which is the best to get.

Can anyone recommend another filter besides the polarizing and protector lens? I will be working indoors and outdoors doing a project based on a reality tv show.

Thanks

Inactive

First off, one thing that affects the price of a filter is whether or not is has a fancy coating. The most expensive often have an anti-reflection coating (or several), which help preserve the contrast of the scene. In some lighting conditions, that can make a difference. I think I’ve even seen a coating advertised which "protects" the other coatings from scratches. πŸ˜• Well…OK, maybe.

— A UV filter would be a good choice. It’s looks almost clear. You can see just a faint yellow tint if you place it on a white paper. This UV filter serves 2 purposes:
      1. It greaty reduces the invisible ultra-violet light, which can add a haze to the image, since films or CCDs might be somewhat sensative to the UV, even though our eyes can’t see UV. (A skylight filter is similar to a UV, but stronger, and puts a noticable pink cast to the image. Good for countering the blue cast of distance mountains.)
      2. It protects the lens from scratches and dust. It’s far easier and cheaper to replace a filter than a lens.

— A polarizing filter is good for cutting down the glare on shiny non-metallic surfaces. But if your camcorder has 3 CCDs or 3 CMOS sensors, then its best to get a circular polarizing filter. This is because the light coming out the rear end of a normal polarizer is ….. well… it’s polarized. And when it hits the beam-splitting prisms of a 3 CCD camcorder, things can get a bit messed up. You see, prisms have a sort of polarizing effect of their own. So you’re taking already polarized light, and sending it through the prisms to split it up between the red, green, and blue CCDs; and things won’t get "split up" evenly. Now this is where the circular polarizer comes to the rescue. It has a special layer on the back of the filter to "de-polarize" the polarized light coming out of the filter. It doesn’t change the effect which the polarizer achieved… it just makes the result depolarized, so the light happily goes through the beam splitter prisms, and gets divided among the 3 CCDs the way it should.

— Color correcting filters were very neccessary in film cameras, but with video, we usually just take a white balance.

— Other filters, like a color-enhanced filter or a graduated filter, are things you might investigate in the future, but you probably won’t find much use for them.

OK, I’m starting to get writers cramp, so this is all for now. πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap