Filming races

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      lareel961
      Participant

I need help with what video camera would be right for me to film modified dirt racing and family events. I need one that is extremely user friendly. My budget is 500 to 700 dollars. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am no “Tech” person. Just someone who sponsors a race car and is getting ready to be a grandma. Please help!

Liber
      Participant

This seems to be a good camera for what your doing. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739919-REG/Panasonic_HDC_SD600K_HDC_SD600K_Camcorder.html

It can shoot in 60p, which would be good the dirt racing. There are no reviews yet, though, so proceed with caution.

Grinner Hester
      Participant

I shoot motorsports of all flavors every week but would never film one of these events. Just too much going on and too much budget wasted on film. I roll video dang near non-stop to ensure I miss nothing then spend my time in post. I shoot on an FX1 and love it for all kinds of racing. It’s durable and very forgiving with both light and audio (another reason not to shoot film).

You can find used FX1s all day long on ebay for less than a grand today.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m looking for a camera to be used in the same application but I do have a larger budget in the 1-2k range. But I’m not experienced with the focus rings and such. Is there a professional lever camera in that price range that still offers auto focus?

Daryl
      Participant

even the FX-1 has an auto focus

Grinner Hester
      Participant

and auto preset. Quite idiot proof int he field whern shooting motorsports. Just aim it, really.

I have boatloads of content if you wanna take a looksy:

http://ModdinArt.com/show.html

Anonymous
      Inactive

You guys are awesome, I really do appreciate your input. I’ll continue to update as race season nears and progresses.

roblewis56
      Participant

Shooting at a 60p frame rate should give you smoother video. However doubling the data rate may be a problem for your computer. As pointed out, you will not want to use 60i and I don’t think the suggested camcorder can shoot in 30p.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Action Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best microphone for video production — 2021

Whether you’re recording audio for a commercial, a wedding or your next feature film, you need the best microphone possible.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN