Filming LED stage screen

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Just wanting some advice when filming large led screens during concerts.

I am getting banding and stripping when using both the sony hvrv1p and a65.

I have tried different shutter speeds to try and eliminate it without good results.

I think the screen is 60hz and I don’t have a clear scan function on the V1p cam to adjust the hz.

Any advice from anybody experienced in this on what to do to eliminate the banding etc would be appreciated.

Also what camera would you recommend for doing this kind of work.

Participant

I have never used it, but I know a lot of pro cameras have a setting usually deep in the menu where you can fine tune the “hz” for situations like this. I don’t have my camera in front of me but I know I can change it. I have seen it in the menu and watched a tutorial on it a few years back.

Participant

Unfortunately our cameras don’t have that function as far as I know.

Mayby I will eventually have to upgrade camera’s to get good results

Participant

Are you sure? My Z5 does.

Participant

Upon further research I think the main problem I am having is moire as the LED screen has lots of horizontal lines with all the rows of LED’s in and I get similar results even the screen is off.

Anybody with any ideas or experienced with this sort of situation?

I have tried various frame without any great improvement and I also tried the 25p pan scan mode on the V1p cam but have not had success.

What camera would you recommend for this situation (preferably Sony) in the sub $7000 category?

Screen is a P10 60hz and approx 8 meters long.

(Tried to post image of screen here but it did not work)

Participant

Participant

If it moire, then I am not sure what you can do other than maybe change the distance you are shooting from the screen- and that is probably a tough or impossible thing to do. The best thing to help moire is something with a true video sensor and not a DSLR as those tend to “skip” lines on the higher resolution sensors to downconvert it to 1080p or whatever you are shooting at. But it seems you tried this with the V1. Try posting VIDEO of the screen in question to give a better idea of what is going on.

Participant

I will try and post some later.

Is there any camcorder that you can be fairly sure you will never have moire problems with?

Participant

I don’t think there is ever a guarantee – but typically video cameras will be MUCH better than DSLRs – though DSLRs are getting better. ON the other hand, I think I read something recently that there may be a filter for a certain DSLR model – probably a Canon of some sort? It is suppose to help with moire, but again I assume that the filter would have to be specific to the sensor it is shooting on. Maybe not – just my thoughts. You would have to search for it – I am headed to bed here and very tired or I would look right now.

Participant

Yes I think there is a filter for some DSLR’s which I think goes inside the camera but its not cheap and being being that DSLR’s are generally worse at moire than camcorders I am not sure how good a results I would get. But it is a possible option to try.

Here is a link showing the aliasing.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap