Filming Football

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      fre31229
      Participant

I film a lot of youth sports (football, basketball, track, baseball) and trying to decide the best location (field or stands) to film from. From the stands I get the entire play, offense and defense. From the ground it’s hard to follow the ball during the play, but it’s closer to the action. Not sure what most would prefer. Also, does anyone know how to capture those nice spiral passes like the NFL does doing passing plays? Is that simply done in post production?

Rob
      Participant

I suggest shooting in a variety of locations, both close to the field and shooting some wider shots from the stands.

As for the NFL, the reason their shots are so good andconsistentis because their shooter shoot football all the time. Practice makes perfect. I shoot sports quite often as well, and I can tell you from experience that if you shoot often enough, you will begin todevelopa feel for shooting.One day during a basketball shoot last spring, I noticed that I didn’t have to pay too much attention to players’ movements so I could react and pan with the ball. I just kept the players and ball in the frame and instinct kinda took over.

So you will get to that point, you just have to keep at it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

If you want to get the entire game on video, from the stands in a high spot is the best angle to cover all the players and it is much easier to follow. I would suggest if it is possible, to use a 2 camera setup, 1 in the stands to get all the action, and another on the ground to get some closeups and better shots. You can edit in the close shots when you have good ones in post. I have been doing HS sports (football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, etc) for several years and still love it! I do highlight videos for several different high school teams in my area as well as recruiting videos for individual athletes.

If you are doing highlights, having some ground shots is really nice in about any sport.

As far as the college and NFL games, they have several cameras for a given game and can have a few that focus on the football on a pass play.

Anonymous
      Inactive

If you’re doing single-camera continuous coverage of the entire game, get as high up as you can. It’s important to see the players’ positions relative to each other.

If you have a 2nd camcorder, but no 2nd camera person, try mounting both camcorders on the same tripod. (I’ve seen this done using a 10″ board and some 1/4 – 20 hardware. Or, you might find some appropriate brackets at your local camera store.) Keep one camcorder on a wide shot showing almost all the players, and use the other to zoom in for close-ups.

Following a pass or kick isn’t all that difficult, as long as you stay loose. But if you’re talking about a slow-motion close-up of the ball, that’s definately done in post.

BTW, you can see good examples of single-camera coverage at http://www.KBCSports.com .

Good luck!

Ken

EarlC

We ALWAYS shoot two-camera – one from an elevated position, one on the sidelines following the ball.

fre31229
      Participant

These were great tips. Also the above website was a great help also. Maybe I’m not doing as badly as I thought. It’s always hard to tell when you’re self taught and it’s just a hobby.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

fre31229
      Participant

I also tried the two camera angle shot before. I shot a fashion show for a friend. I vowed to never do it again. haha Trying to match up the timing of the two footages was a new experience. I focused mainly on the feet walking and music matching. Once I got the footage completed, them I had to dub over the music for better quality. So the matching continued. The DVD turned out great, but it sure was time consuming…. Especially for free.

I never know how to charge for projects like these…. (by the hour orfor the completed job). I turn down a lot of requests because I tell them, “Even if I charged you $5 an hour, you wouldn’t want to pay me for the amount of time it would take.” Especially Football End of Season Highlights – 15 Game tapes of footage. No thank you unless you have a big fat wallet. And it’s not your footage or from your camera. Out goes the quality guarantee… haha

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best cameras for YouTube — 2021

So you’re all set to start your new YouTube channel where you’ll show how you create wigs for dogs with bald spots. Great! But before you get started, you’ll need a camera. We’re here to help you wade through the...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN